Fake handbag with fake authenticity card

I’ve just discovered the bag I bought is fake and seller has supplied me with a fake authentication card . She still claims bag is real and that internet authentication is fake ?! She will accept a return but asking me to pay post . Am I even allowed to post a bag back that is counterfeit ?
Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Open a 'Not As Decribed' return case if you are convinced of its inauthenticity, and let that play out.

How do you know that it is fake - only that the internet authentication failed?

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

lapor-nicol

You will need an official confirmation in wrting that the bag is fake. Your opinion alone is not enough.

If you don't have that you can send the back back, they've sent it to you OK didn't they?

Do you seriously think that staff at APO would even know what is in the parcel, and even if they did anyone there would be an expert to judge if it's fake or not?

Internet authentication could be wrong, quite easily.

I can tell you of a case with a Burberry coat that my neighbour listed, and it was taken down after an hour! With claims it was fake.

So I gave the lady my own coat, another Burberry, she has listed it - and that was removed soon after claiming it was fake!

Except it wasn't, of course. We gave Ebay record of the purchase, place of purchase (Sydney) even a lady's name from the Burberry store -  and the internet auth. people apologised! 

So, they can be wrong - that was a test case and they failed.

Your only option here is to get  something in writing on the designer's letterhead - which is virtually impossible to get, so many people said that when they tried!

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

It depends so much on what sort of proof you actually have that it is a fake.

Just your word for it or the opinion of someone else is not necessarily enough.

You could open an item not as described claim, which you may or may not win. Or you could return it (with tracking) at your own expense for a refund.

You're only talking about an accessory item, not anything dangerous in the post, so you'd be fine posting it off, especially if you have no proof it is fake.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Do you like the bag?  Was the price reasonable? 

If you like it and bearing in mind it is by no means certain if it is fake or not why not keep it?

It seems a lot less of a hassle.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@lapor-nicol,

• Did you pay roughly the RRP of the bag?
  • Is it new?
  • Where is the seller registered?
  • You talk about "internet authentication". What exactly do you mean by that?
  • Did you have the item authenticated by the actual manufacturer/designer/local distributor? Is the statement that it's not authentic upon letterhead of one of these?

If you bought a bag that's new, and you paid considerably less than the RRP, chances are high that it's a fake. That's why one goes to the actual company... For instance, unless I am looking for a no-longer-available product by Chanel, I buy from a Chanel store or from the Chanel counter in DJ or Myer. When I buy an iPhone or iPad, I don't buy from a Chinese eBay seller and rub my hands in glee at the huge savings I'm making; rather, I buy from Apple or an authorised seller here in Australia or from a service provider under contract, and expect to pay a realistic price.

If the item that you purchased is definitely fake (and you have the statement on letterhead from the company/local distributor asserting this), then you have every right to proceed on the basis of INAD (Item Not As Described) and return the item to the seller for a full refund. Seller in that case would also be responsible for return postage.

If you assume that it's fake but have not had it checked by the company/local distributor, that assumption may not be enough. Get it examined properly, to proceed under eBay's Money Back Guarantee requirements.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Can you provide the item number possibly?
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Sounds like one of those "if it's too good to be true..." sales with the usual fake Chinese authenticity certificates.

Fake products are always better value for money. Your friends will never know.
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

(I would...)

My view on expensive designer products is that unless one wants the item for its intrinsic beauty or quality, and one has the money to spend on a luxury item whose price largely reflects the ability of the designer in question to charge way over the odds, it's best to look for a beautiful quality item whose price largely reflects the quality and workmanship of the item.

Besides, designer blah blah. Many who can afford a designer bag that's currently "in" tend to buy the bag in question. Therre's no real individuality or exclusivity save for the vulgar one of how much the wretched thing cost. I prefer to have few bags, but they're good bags that will last a lifetime, and while they're not cheap, they're not ridiculously overpriced.

(This isn't directed to the OP; it's just my personal Saturday rhetoric based on individual preferences, a bad night with horrible cramp in my left thigh which left me scuttling less than elegantly towards the medicine cabinet for some Voltaren, an uneasy suspicion that my cat has done some unexpected business within olfactory distance, and a deep attraction towards Italian leather and British workmanship. Also, I need another coffee.)

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply