False Bidders or NON- Follow through buyers.

It is becoming commonplace for bidders to purchase items with winning bids, then fail to follow through with the purchase. Usually this relates to the 0 bidders or even at times the lower level of purchasers that often do this out of malice or "FUN" to block other legitimate purchasers. All of which costs the sellers time and relisting monies as well as the purchasers awaiting the outcome of a auction.

High time the Ebay hierarchy did something about this practice before a group legal action is sought against them for aiding and abetting the fraudsters.

Hiding all the buyers/bidders details is sheilding the false ones. Sellers are not hidden so why buyers?

It is not uncommon to find 0 or low level bidder/buyers to be bidding on huge amounts of items with miltiple bids, only to find they do not purchase  any items. Why bother? Or is just fun, especially during school holidays!

The idea of hiding a bidders real identity behind a false computer generated non-de'plume is just that, FALSE! They may as well go to a bank or business and falsify a cheque or credit card tranaction, especially if that particular business says its ok, no identity of proof is required.

Me, I am fed up with those whom do this and now advise any seller of a potential bidder/buyer whom shows the propensity to be a FALSE!

Get with it eBay, ENOUGH!

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: False Bidders or NON- Follow through buyers.

Ebay "got with it" several years ago by shortening the time to open a dispute down to 4 days from 7 and giving sellers the oportunity to block all buyers  who have more than one unpaid item strike.

If you have all available blocks in place then you shouldn't have too many unpaid items and for those few it only takes a few seconds to open and close a dispute, no great biggie in my book.

It is not fraud, far from it, you are not losing any money. Even if it was a free listing and you have to pay to relist as you have used up your quota of freebies it is no different than if the item did not sell in the first place.

A non paying bidder is a minor annoyance and if it is aything more than that then perhas ebay is not the place for you.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I too have the same problem last week with a newbie who registered on the 9th July and bid on the same day on my other account and won. Problem is the address is false,  not only the state is wrong but the address does not exist.

The address listed as Meadows Lane, Melbourne South Australia 3000, Australia.

I contacted the buyer but no respond. Rang eBay and suggested me to call the buyer but number was false as well.

So I opened a case to cancel transaction on day 2 but no respond so far and I have to wait 7 days to close it and then I will send a second chance offer. Realised that I would be better off maybe to open case of NPB instead of request to cancel transaction.

Anyway, my point is how eBay  let people register with false ID details, it is frustrating for seller not only time lost but the inconvenience to go through the case and sale loss.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@2014myaccount wrote:

I too have the same problem last week with a newbie who registered on the 9th July and bid on the same day on my other account and won. Problem is the address is false,  not only the state is wrong but the address does not exist.

The address listed as Meadows Lane, Melbourne South Australia 3000, Australia.

I contacted the buyer but no respond. Rang eBay and suggested me to call the buyer but number was false as well.

So I opened a case to cancel transaction on day 2 but no respond so far and I have to wait 7 days to close it and then I will send a second chance offer. Realised that I would be better off maybe to open case of NPB instead of request to cancel transaction.

Anyway, my point is how eBay  let people register with false ID details, it is frustrating for seller not only time lost but the inconvenience to go through the case and sale loss.

NPB is the way.

You can even automate it and avoid any hassles.

And it is not really a big issue. Any seller will have similar tales. Most of us just go with the flow, open an NPB, get our fees back and relist.

Not even rocket science.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

I have all the rules in place. I have past false bidders blocked, I have automated unpaid item case open switched on and STILL I get at least 1 a month bidder who doesn't care about having unpaid item case besides their name. This month I have had 2 and I am not a big seller I have probably sold only 25 items this month, and my items price range is inbetween $5 - $20. And everytime this happen I have to pay Ebay a $1.50 to relist the item. I do not see how this is fair!!! It is time for Ebay to get with it!

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Yes I agree it is unfair for sellers,  you have to wait to relist etc. and not being able to leave feedback for non serious bidders.

It is a learning experience for me,as  I only made maybe 10 sales a year, very very small fish in the big pond

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply