Feedback etiquette

What is everyone's opinion on leaving feedback as a buyer? I won't leave feedback until the seller has left it first because as a buyer and having paid for the item I have completed my end of the bargain first, therefore I beleive the seller should comment after receiving funds which Is before the item is posted. I think when the seller tries to wait they are being defensive and possibly have something to hide or want the opportunity to leave poor feedback if they receive it. When I sell something I always leave feedback first.
Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: Feedback etiquette

There is many many many many threads on this subject.

Everyone is different.

Some sellers leave it when an item is paid for

Some seller leave it when the post the item

Some sellers leave it daily, weekly or monthly

Some sellers have it set to be left once they receive it.

Some seller do not leave it at all.

And some will not leave it when pestered to have it left.

Many seller believe that a transaction is finished once the buyer has the item, is happy and leaves feedback as the seller then knows they have the item and will then leave it for the buyer.

So what comes first the chicken or the egg?

And what good is feedback to buyers other than to show you purchased something when sellers can not leave anything but positive anyway?

Buyers are encouraged to leave honest factual feedback but sellers are stopped from doing this

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

As sellers can only leave positive feedback it is a pointless exercise you playing a **bleep** for tat game.

Are you buying items or green dots on a computer screen?

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

This topic has many threads on it if you do a search.

Many sellers, myself included leave feedback after the buyer has because as far as I am concerned the transaction has not finalised until buyer informs me it has arrived and in good order.

As well, something most buyers don't realize, when a seller leaves feedback it disappears from all reminders and like most good sellers, the preference is to have it highlighted until it is delivered and customer is happy, especially when doing hundreds of transactions.

Whilst I understand your scepticism, I think you will find most sellers do it for good customer service reasons.

Also keep in mind, feedback is voluntary, no one needs to leave any feedback.

image host
Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

simple, If you are happy with the item when it arrives leave feedback. feedback is voluntary after all sellers don't have to leave it nor do buyers.
Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

melenny01,

there is no f/back etiquete, as f/back is voluntary.

It seems to me (just looking around on the boards) that f/back on the whole has 2 main functions:

1. Primarily used as weapon, by buyers to wield over sellers in order to get their own way - and happy to see of lately - becoming less and less effective

2. Number of pos. f/back is good to ofset some negs that seller may receive

Other than that - feedback and all "well meaning" comments are surprisingly ineffective.

Especially the negs - as they don't really stop anyone from buying from that seller - and more often than not  f/back giver ends up looking worse than the seller!

In some cases downright humiliated and embarrased, ispecially if their id name is posted by the seller  as a part of f/back response.

And it results in being blocked by just about every other seller who sees it!

And OP - whithold your f/back all you like - it means nothing to sellers, and even less to any new prospective buyers!

If it was such a vital factor in any given transaction - millions of other internet sites  that don't have f/back wouldn't sell anything at all - but if anything - exactly the oposite is happening.

They are thriving - I can attest to that - have been shopping on the web for years.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

100%

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

@melenny01 wrote:
What is everyone's opinion on leaving feedback as a buyer? I won't leave feedback until the seller has left it first because as a buyer and having paid for the item I have completed my end of the bargain first, therefore I beleive the seller should comment after receiving funds which Is before the item is posted. I think when the seller tries to wait they are being defensive and possibly have something to hide or want the opportunity to leave poor feedback if they receive it. When I sell something I always leave feedback first.

I would like anyone who agrees with the Opening Poster to read the following threads:

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Wrong-addr​ess-on-ebay-paypal-item-returned-to-sender-buyer-...

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling-on-eBay/a-​buyer-has-requested-a-chargeback-from-paypal-for-...

. . . . . . and then come back here and tell us whether they think that the sellers in those threads should have left feedback once the item was paid for or not?

If you post in support of the Opening Poster after reading those threads then you can join the OP on my Christmas list :smileywink:

"I think when the seller tries to wait they are being defensive and possibly have something to hide" . . . . . Oh Really!!!! They aren't, by any chance, just exercising their right to leave feedback once the transaction has concluded?????? What a load of carp!!!!!!

"When I sell something I always leave feedback first" . . . . . good for you . . . . that is your choice . . . . . and I support you 100% in deciding when YOU like to leave feedback . . . .  but that doesn't mean all sellers should be like you. God help us!

Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

I leave feedback when I have been paid and I have printed out the invoice
Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

@downeyas wrote:
I leave feedback when I have been paid and I have printed out the invoice

. . . . good for you . . . . that is your choice . . . . . and I support you 100% in deciding when YOU like to leave feedback

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply