Found an ebay loophole to our disadvantage!

mz_coolitz
Community Member

I purchased an item back in January and I was told they sold out. I asked if they'll have more stock later on and if so, I'll wait until then. They said that they're busy because of the Chinese New Year holiday and that they'll resume their business operations after, once again I accepted this. Once the Chinese New Year holiday ended, I then contacted them to obtain a status on this purchased item. They replied back & said that it's now fully out of stock & asked if I wanted a refund. I argued that I've waited since January so I'll wait until they have it in stock again but I also asked if they had an estimated date of when it'll be available. They said they weren't sure and offered to refund. I finally accepted and asked to be refunded.

BUT now that I've asked to be refunded, they then told me the "good news" that this is now available & can finally send it in 3 days. I was ecstatic and thanked them. This was back in March 09. My last communication with them was from the 16th of March where they confirmed that they got my message. I have not heard back from them, I have contacted them on several occasions asking if it's coming or whether they've posted. It's now May and still no item. I want my refund and they're not responding.

I've contacted ebay, they've contacted the seller but this seller ignored them too. Ebay then gave me the contact number for this seller. I called them up & spoke English to them but the lady on the phone just started yelling at me in Chinese (Mandarin). I tried 3 times and got the same result. I've told ebay and they said I should also contact Paypal to obtain a refund.

This is how I found out about the "CRACK" in EBAY. I think this "top rated seller" purposely delayed the delivery of the item so it elapsed the 45 day transaction period. Paypal cannot assist me in refunding my money if the transaction is 45 days old. Ebay cannot force the seller to refund me either, apparently it's up to the seller's discretion.

Are we allowed to name & shame the seller?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Nope there is NO crack in the system as you are told when you pay you only have 45 days to open a dispute.

No matter what the seller tells you never let it go past that 45 days.

You were offered and refused a refund several times by the sound of it.

Let this be a lesson to NEVER let it get to the 45 days from payment date to open a dispute.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

yarmak
Community Member

Doesn't stop the seller from being honest though just cause the 45 day period ended.

SO basically you bought something and never received it?

No you can't name and shame otherwise you will get pinged.

How did you pay? you say via paypal but with paypal funds or a credit card?

If a credit card contact your bank with details on the transaction including the phone calls.They will be able to help you.

Ever since paypal has been enforced / shoved down our throats the 45 day scenario has had issues like yours.Why paypal can't help I call BS.I don't care what their terms of service says either.

If paid via paypal funds, bought an item and never received it I would suggest going to the financial ombudsman? you may or may not get anywhere but at least you tried

Dave 

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

mz_coolitz
Community Member

That's true, yarmak. 

It sucks that just when I said ok fine refund me, they miraculously have the item in stock now.

My paypal is connected to my CC so the transaction gets deducted from it instead of paypal. I'm sure that's how it works. Paypal's pretty much $0 balance.

I've learnt my lesson now, it just sucks because the seller's got some items that I want to buy but can't anymore due to the bad experience with them.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

As suggested ask your credit card provider if they can arrange a chargeback. Never wait much longer than one month to receive an item then open an item not received dispute with Paypal.

TCT
Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

To add you can always open a case at 45 days which gives you a further 20 days before escalating to a claim then it's another 10 days seller is given before you get a refund. Total of 75 days.

Then if it does arrive you simply repay via PayPal.

image host
Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

the only loophole I can see is the one where eBay and PayPal make policy, which is basically a set of rules everyone should follow, but they are unable to make users follow these policies even when it benefits the user.

eBay and PayPal can't make users put in an Item Not Received claim within 45 days.  Calling that a loophole doesn't make it a loophole.  Don't let sellers string you along past the 45 day limit for a PayPal claim.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

You are NOT allowed to name and shame.

TCT
Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

I am sorry, but how can you blame anybody but yourself; PP tells you that you have 45 days, the seller has repeatedly offered refund, and you refused.  It really does not matter if PP would offer 6 months cover; I bet you anything some people would still miss the deadline. 

Although I do agree that for Australia for o/s transactions the time limit of 60 days would be more appropriate, but it is fine for most of other countries and I cannot see PP to complicate things for the sake of such a small % of PP users.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Doesn't stop the seller from being honest though just cause the 45 day period ended.

SO basically you bought something and never received it?

No you can't name and shame otherwise you will get pinged.

How did you pay? you say via paypal but with paypal funds or a credit card?

If a credit card contact your bank with details on the transaction including the phone calls.They will be able to help you.

Ever since paypal has been enforced / shoved down our throats the 45 day scenario has had issues like yours.Why paypal can't help I call BS.I don't care what their terms of service says either.

If paid via paypal funds, bought an item and never received it I would suggest going to the financial ombudsman? you may or may not get anywhere but at least you tried

Dave 

The OP says the seller offered a refund several times so the seller HAS done the RIGHT thing by offering the refund that was REFUSED by the buyer.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply