Fraudulent email

trudy66
Community Member

Just received an email supposedly from Paypal  - notified me of a payment for $69.99 made to nerd _toolshop@bigpnd.com. I checked my Paypal a/c and no such payment. I stupidly clicked onto the transaction no. in blue print and it did something because I couldnt get back into my email a/c. I have changed passwords on everything now. Is there anything else I should do? I guess they have had access to all the info on my webmail page. Freaking out!!!

Paypal checked the seller name and the transaction no. - of course all fake - my antivirus said all well. I am thinking this has come about from the chinese scammers that I purchased from recently.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Fraudulent email

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It is not necessarily anything to do with your recent purchase.

Most members get something like this even without having made any suspect purchases.

Just remember NEVER to click on a link in an email.  If you get an email about something that you don't remember, log into paypal to check that all is well.  If there is nothing in there just forward the email to spoof@paypal or spoof@ebay as the case may be.

Then delete the email.

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Fraudulent email

We all get them ALL THE TIME....just send to: spoof@paypal and delete
Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

Fraudulent email

ok thx - Ive never had it happen before and onlyconnected it to my recent stuff up because it said it was Hongkong and they have my email address and postal address now. It said it was an ebay purhase so they know I'm a buyer. Interesting experience yet again and time consuming changing everything. I am concerned they had access to all info in my webmail pages.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

Fraudulent email

As far as knowing you are a buyer goes....it was just a good guess.

I get just as many emails refering to the items I am selling when I have never sold anything on ebay...ever.

As long as you don't click on any links in the email or indicate that they have a live email address you do not need to change passwords etc.

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

Fraudulent email

Lyndal, it was weird because the minute I saw it I didnt click on the link but went to Paypal through my browser and logged in to my a/c and n record of payment. Decided it was weird so called Paypal and got recorded message saying system undergoing a problem and call back later. I went back to the email and thought Paypal system glitch had perhaps sent this by way of error. Thats when I clicked the transaction ID link and my email was compromised - I couldnt change my password or get back in - fixed now and heres hoping thats the end of it. Another lesson for me - never agian!!

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

Fraudulent email

It's just the lastest one doing the rounds at the moment.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

Fraudulent email

If you have managed to survive ebay for more than 2 years and this is the first of these emails you have received then you are very lucky.

Just don't think too much about them and remember the golden rule.....never click on a link in a strange email.

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

Fraudulent email

Thx so much - I can sleep now and not be stresssing - a narrow escape.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

Fraudulent email

Don't get too relaxed, wait until you have done a deep security check on your computer, I use Housecall at least once a month regardless of anything suspicious. You need to be extra careful over the coming months as they now have an active email address and lists of those are bought and sold by scammers worldwide.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 21
Latest reply