Fraudulent transaction? But 16 months later... What are my options?

ideate_tech
Community Member

Hi,

Summary: I purchased a 20,000mAh GPS tracker in August 2020. It was sent out and received as normal but today I discovered it was actually 10,000mAh (Nov 2021 - over a year later).

Firstly, this whole thing seems petty on my side and I'd usually let something like this go.. BUT I hate being lied to especially when I was suspicions from day 1.

Long story:
I purchased the GPS tracker and it arrived as normal. Great!
I questioned the seller after the item arrived to confirm if it was actually the 20,000mAh.
The seller replied and guaranteed it was the 20,000mAh model.
I was tempted to crack the case open to inspect but didn't as I believed the seller.
After just over 12 months of use the device stopped working (couldn't track online but SMS still worked)
I asked for support but was told the device no longer operates as originally sold.
I then purchased a new GPS tracker and decided to crack the case open to finally see if it was actually 20,000mAh.
Turns out I was right to be suspicious! The seller sent me a 10,000mAh!

So what are my options now? It seems like the consensus will be "you should have checked it as soon as you received it!" But I didn't want to break the case and had belief in the seller doing the right thing.

PayPal have wiped their hands of this and said it's outside of the 180 days.
I haven't tried eBay but I assume it'll be a similar story.
I've messaged the seller but he hasn't replied yet and I doubt anything will come of it. He's not selling the trackers anymore (not surprisingly).

Do I have a case with some type of ombudsman or similar?
Should I waste my time with VicPol?

Any advice will be much appreciated. Cheers,

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

With eBay you have even less time for a dispute - only 30 days since the last day of the estimated delivery.

Where is the seller registered? 

I am afraid it is far too late, but if other posters have an idea of what you can do, they will let you know.

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

ideate_tech
Community Member

Here's a few pictures of:

the item that was purchased:
Inkeditem_LI.jpg

Seller's email confirming it was the 20,000 mAh model.
seller.png

The actual item cracked open today showing it is 10,000mAh:

tracker_battery.jpgbattery.jpg

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

You're way out of time for an eBay or Paypal dispute and most likely with a credit card chargeback. An ombudsman will only help if it's an Australian seller.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

Yeah the seller was Australian based (I assume). "Australia" is in their ebay profile name and it was sent via express post and received fairly quickly from memory. I have a name that I'm trying to trace without luck so will see what others say before I try contacting any ombudsman etc. Cheers,

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

Where was the seller actually registered though?  (any seller can have anything in their eBay name, so long as it is not swearing)

Where does their feedback page show they are registered ?

They may be registered in China but hold stock in a warehouse here

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

You have to go to their feedback page and see where they are registered to know where they are really based. 

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

Can you list an item number of any other product this seller has so we can have a look at them? The item number on your screen shot produces no current result.

Unfortunately you're way out of time on both Ebay and Paypal.

Police will definitely not get involved, and will probably tell you it's a civil matter between you and the seller.

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

They're Australian. 

I've just been doing some digging and have found their full name, ABN via their external .com.au domain name.

So I can confirm the seller is Australian.

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

Does it say where they registered near the bit where it shows "Member since:" on their ebay profile page?

Regardless I think I've confirmed they are Australian (see previous comment).

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply