GST and best offer

EBay collects GST on items listed at below $A1000. For items listed at above AU$1000, collecting GST becomes a Border Force collection matter.

If a seller lists at item at more than $1000 (so the price in cart doesn't include GST) and I make an offer for something like $950, will eBay add GST?

Haven't had a clear answer to this anywhere
Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: GST and best offer

Sliiiightly longer answer:

The listing price of an item listed on eBay is not the price upon which GST is required to be collected by eBay. It is the sale price that is applicable. Also bear in mind that if there's not a large margin between your offer and $1000 (converted AUD from the offer in USD), it may be that at the time of payment, the price has just nudged over the $1000 mark due to fluctuating conversion rates. When dealing with low-value imported goods that are listed/sold in a foreign currency, the amount payable in AUD (at the time when payment is made) is the relevant amount.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Short answer - yes

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Sliiiightly longer answer:

The listing price of an item listed on eBay is not the price upon which GST is required to be collected by eBay. It is the sale price that is applicable. Also bear in mind that if there's not a large margin between your offer and $1000 (converted AUD from the offer in USD), it may be that at the time of payment, the price has just nudged over the $1000 mark due to fluctuating conversion rates. When dealing with low-value imported goods that are listed/sold in a foreign currency, the amount payable in AUD (at the time when payment is made) is the relevant amount.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Orders over AU $1,000

"If you're buying from overseas and your order is valued at over AU $1,000, the GST is generally collected at the Australian border. You may need to pay it as part of clearing your parcel through customs".

The interesting takeaway from the above is the words "generally" and "may".

The sender must include 4 copies of the invoice on the outside of the parcel so the value is stated and GST applied and collected at importation. I wonder how many parcels negate that requirement ?

Postal authorities do ask the value at lodgement...
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks everyone!

I was just making sure I won't be pinged twice for GST.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

It is most unlikely but as long as you can produce the first receipt showing that it is already paid you will not have to pay again.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

That makes sense, thanks so much!

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply