GST for Australia rip off

GST charges for Australia ought to be 10% upon purchase price. But recently have noticed the final invoice coming up with something like 20% purchase price and labelled "import duty" i.e GST. Isn't this illegal on ebay's part? 

Message 1 of 53
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The GST is 10% on the total price of item plus postage.

If you are seeing the amount as an Import Charge you are buying from a seller using the GSP and Pitney Bowes charges a fee for collecting the GST.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 53
Latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

The GST is 10% on the total price of item plus postage.

If you are seeing the amount as an Import Charge you are buying from a seller using the GSP and Pitney Bowes charges a fee for collecting the GST.

Message 2 of 53
Latest reply

@2013annie8989 wrote:

GST charges for Australia ought to be 10% upon purchase price. But recently have noticed the final invoice coming up with something like 20% purchase price and labelled "import duty" i.e GST. Isn't this illegal on ebay's part? 

No it is quite legal, Import duties and additional administration costs + GST, has always applied to imports over $1000.00

no matter what shipping services were used.    So why would you expect it to be any different now that GST applies to low value imports.  Shipping companies are not going to, nor should they have to, wear the administration costs

Message 3 of 53
Latest reply

Makes buying from UK sellers low cost items prohibitive. $10 AUD charged on an item costing $25 AUD. Then.... the hiked up postage charges. Awful what's happened on ebay. I now shop off this site more.

Message 4 of 53
Latest reply

So what was the postage cost.....$10 is certainly not the GST on a $25 item.

Message 5 of 53
Latest reply

It is not Pitney bowes paying the gst. Paypal is collecting the cost for ebay and responsible for paying to ausytralian govt. It appears that Pitney bowes (another ebay company) are double dipping.

Message 6 of 53
Latest reply

Paypal is collecting for ebay pitney bowes is double dipping. Only pitney bowes item has double the gst charge
Message 7 of 53
Latest reply

What I replied to your other fact sparse posts.

Message 8 of 53
Latest reply

Yes I have been charged gst on my items from Australia this is illegal as we already pay good and service taxes on the product this is robbery
Message 9 of 53
Latest reply

Yep I can understand that the postage is higher than what the items worth
Message 10 of 53
Latest reply