GST on >1000 items 'local' but shipped from overseas

On >1000 items eBay does not collect GST.

I've seen many items listed as located in Australia. In the item fine point it will say things like it may be shipped from hk warehouse directly if out of stock here. Or sometimes more directly things to USA shipped from here UK shipped from there, Australia shipped from China.

I've tried to get clarity from the sellers and ebay, everyone has tried to be vague. Is it but true if Sent from overseas I would get a customs note asking for GST before they will deliver it? Where if it came from within Australia I would not?
Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I would treat any listing that says "may be shipped from overseas" as "will be shipped from overseas", to be honest, because anecdotally, that is invariably the case. 

That is, from what I have observed, these listings put the location as Australia for search result purposes, and to be more (immediately) appealing, and have that disclaimer so that they can freely send from overseas and say it was because they were temporarily out of stock, and / or to be able to point to the disclaimer and say "we said it might happen". 

Edit: sorry, forgot to address the other part of your post - if the item value is over $1k AUD, and is shipped from overseas, you will be asked to pay customs charges before delivery (this includes duty and GST).

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

To add the what Digi has said.....if the item is in Australia it should be listed at a GST inclusive price.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

I see, this is very confusing, it's literally 10% price difference making it next to impossible to compare. Small print is so hard to check. Is there any good way to buy things, or just shop elsewhere?
Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Neither the sellers or eBay would answer me whether the item supposedly in Australia is GST inclusive. Just vague comments we don't charge you extra fees! I guess it means the item is never in Australia.
Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

eBay are supposed to be taking reports of item location misrepresentation very seriously, since they are now liable for the collection of GST on items <$1000, but when it comes to sellers in certain locations, taking it "seriously" seems to be little more than sending a message asking the sellers to consider changing their ways, and just accepting it when they don't. 

Always check where the seller is actually registered via their profile, as many of them will say item location Australia, while the seller is registered in China. There may be some Australian sellers doing this as well, so as much as it sucks, you'll just have to be on the lookout for all the usual warning signs. 

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

@anpanmansuper wrote:
I see, this is very confusing, it's literally 10% price difference making it next to impossible to compare. Small print is so hard to check. Is there any good way to buy things, or just shop elsewhere?

Exacty that.

If they are registered in an Asian country (check their feedback page) and say they may ship from OS, they WILL ship from OS. If you can find a domestic seller, then buy from them.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Well of course if there was a local and the price diff is about 25% that's fine. When it's like 40% difference well...

They'll be mainly electronics, if there are grey importers elsewhere is it the same deal? Don't think I've ever bought over 1k online before.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Electronics.

The things that foreign manufacturers don't make, much less certify, to Australian standards.

By all means buy the cheap stuff. Just be aware that when your house burns down and your insurer doesn't give you a cent, cheap becomes a relative term.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

If you buy an item of $1000 or over you will not pay the GST through ebay.

The GST will be added at the border and you will have to pay Customs before you collect the item.

It is not just the GST.....you will pay Customs fees and charges as well.

It usually adds between 25% and 40% to the cost of the item depending on the rate of duty for the item.  The average is about 35%.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply