Getting a refund after being scammed by a seller

I purchased an item about 6 months ago, it was faulty when it arrived. I contacted the seller who asked me to send photos (which is difficult for a piece of electronics, they look the same weather they are working or not working). Is sent photos and videos (which showed the problem) of the defective item. They said they will send me another one and it never arrived. I kept messaging them and they said be patient. Well 6 months after, no more replies to messages and the listing has disappeared from my purchase history. Both eBay and PayPal want me to click on my purchase to verify the purchase before proceeding with any actions. eBay's help and refund section is automated and keeps taking me around in circles, nothing gets done (sounds like the seller!)

How can I get a refund now?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I give up. ๐Ÿ˜ž

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

You needed to follow the correct procedure by opening an item not as described dispute within the time limit

Not communicating with a clearly dodgey seller who had zero intention of doing anything

Do not allow yourself to be 'scammed' eBay give buyers the tools not to be ripped off  use them

Within the time limit

The item is in your purchase history, you just need to change the drop down menu

PayPal also only give 180 days but it sounds like you have also gone past that

Please read the basics of buying

Open disputes within the time limit

Was this seller also registered in China?

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

You can't get a refund. You left it too long. You've allowed yourself to be ripped off by what is more than likely a Chinese seller. I suggest that you familiarise yourself with the buying section in the help pages, including disputes, so this doesn't happen again. No buyer should ever lose out because ebay is very skewed towards buyers.

Never EVER accept an offer of an item being resent. It is a tactic of Asian sellers to ensure you run out of time to open a dispute. If an item doesn't arrive when it should, open a dispute for non arrival, and only accept a refund, not a resend. If an item is faulty, open a dispute for item not as described. No point engaging in back and forth with a seller that is clearly trying to string you along.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

@asraarmour

As the other responders have said, youโ€™ve sadly allowed yourself to be duped.

Youโ€™re well and truly out of time to claim under eBayโ€™s Money Back Guarantee.

Most purchases on eBay include buyer protection, but there are some exceptions. There are also - as expected - terms and conditions, and a rigid timeframe for the required actions by the buyer. This protection is provided in the form of eBayโ€™s Money Back Guarantee. I urge you to read the policy page to which I linked, and make yourself familiar with the T&Cs.

โYouโ€™re covered under eBay Money Back Guarantee when:

• You donโ€™t receive an item
    • You receive an item that doesnโ€™t match its listing
    • You receive an item thatโ€™s broken or faulty
    • The seller doesnโ€™t fulfil their return policy as stated in the listingโž

Timeframes

You canโ€™t open a refund request under eBayโ€™s MBG any later than 30 days after the itemโ€™s delivery date (or EDD - Estimated Delivery Date.

Once the request has been opened, you have 21 business days to ask eBay to step in if the seller has not given a satisfactory solution. After 21 business days, the request will automatically close, no refund will be issued, and you will not be able to re-open it.

Donโ€™t expect any leeway in the timeframes. 

Soโ€ฆ being out of time for eBayโ€™s MBG, you might possibly still be able to claim through PayPal โ€“ but only if you are still within 180 days of the transaction date. Check immediately. If you are still within that timeframe, immediately open a claim. Donโ€™t wait for a second.

It sounds as though you are out of time for a PayPal claim, unfortunately.

If that is the case, you have no recourse at all - unless (small but possible chance) you paid via credit card/debit card and your card provider / issuing bank is willing to stretch a point and allow you to make a chargeback beyond the 6-month period. Itโ€™s a stretch. Most card providers/banks have less than 6 months as their transaction dispute periodโ€ฆ but because youโ€™re dealing with human beings, it is possible - barely possible - that you can beg, plead, persuade, and give context (pandemic, your seller convinced you to wait, you gave extra time because of pandemic affecting supply chains, etc).

IF you are lucky enough to get your funds back, never let yourself be put in this situation again. Be aware of the MBG and PayOal timeframes. 

Good luckโ€ฆ and tell us how it goes.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

I give up. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Good.

That is your only choice is this instance. I doubt it is a solution to your issue, as you have marked it.

Maybe take the advice, freely given, of members as your solution.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Well, Iโ€™m sorry but if you choose to do your own thing rather than use the tools you are given (plenty of them) then that is that

Other members here can only tell you facts based on eBay policy, not give you a refund

I do hope you also intend to give up buying from dodgy sellers and to start opening the proper disputes when required 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

The seller dragged out the postage for various reasons. He had originally supplied the items on time but they didn't work. Seller said a replacement item will be shipped out again but it never arrived. The contact stopped communicating with me. I am aware of all the things that can be done but removing the item from my purchase history would have been done by ebay which has prevented me from giving feedback or raising any sort of concerns with ebay or PayPal.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@asrarmour wrote:

I am aware of all the things that can be done but removing the item from my purchase history would have been done by ebay which has prevented me from giving feedback or raising any sort of concerns with ebay or PayPal.

You might be aware of all the things that can be done, but obviously you failed to implement any of them otherwise you would not have allowed the seller to string you along past the time to avail yourself of eBay and Paypal's buyer protection, and past the time limit to leave feedback.

In future act on your own behalf and not for a dodgy seller.................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply