Global Shipping Program - do you mention it in feedback?

chezzy
Community Member

Recently I had my first experience with Global Shipping, a small light weight item that would have cost USD$12-$13 by USPS First Class International normally. Instead it cost twice that and took twice as long. I have always tried to avoid GSP but was unable to in this case.

The item was despatched quickly, the item itself I am very happy with.

Was not happy that the package took a tour of America and also sat in Melbourne for a week before it was delivered.

GSP/Pitney Bowes has really let the team/transaction down I feel. Should I mention it in the feedback or mark DSR/stars

accordingly. Dilemma! What do others do?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Global Shipping Program - do you mention it in feedback?

Which is why I can't understand why eBay feels the need to offer PB special protection against legitimate claims. In doing so, they're treating their so-called 'loyal' buyers and sellers with complete and utter contempt, and if they tried it here the ACCC would come down on them like a ton of bricks.
Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

Are you the poster that started a thread about buying an item delivered by GSP ( so you knew the item went from seller to a distribution point in US then its sent internationally)? You knew the problems other buyers have had using that service but still decided to try it and see what happened.

I think it unfair  to leave any comments in the sellers FB and/or mark their DSR's down. It is a service they offer and you chose to buy the item knowing it was going to be sent by that service and correct me if I am wrong but you were aware of potential issues with that service before you bought the item.

Actually am*3, I had read numerous comments/posts, I just didn't have first hand personal experience. I did want to see for myself if it was as bad as it was cracked up to be. I do believe it is, I can say this now as I have been through it myself and not just take other's word as gospel. I know now to avoid the service as much as possible for small light items and I am happy to continue to create awareness!

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

@chezzy wrote:

@am*3 wrote:

Are you the poster that started a thread about buying an item delivered by GSP ( so you knew the item went from seller to a distribution point in US then its sent internationally)? You knew the problems other buyers have had using that service but still decided to try it and see what happened.

I think it unfair  to leave any comments in the sellers FB and/or mark their DSR's down. It is a service they offer and you chose to buy the item knowing it was going to be sent by that service and correct me if I am wrong but you were aware of potential issues with that service before you bought the item.

Actually am*3, I had read numerous comments/posts, I just didn't have first hand personal experience. I did want to see for myself if it was as bad as it was cracked up to be. I do believe it is, I can say this now as I have been through it myself and not just take other's word as gospel. I know now to avoid the service as much as possible for small light items and I am happy to continue to create awareness!

So are you saying that the posters here are telling porkies when relating their personal experiences of the GSP?

Do you have to learn everything the hard way....by personal experience?   And does that mean that you ignore a seller's bad feedback on the grounds that it has not happened to you?

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

So are you saying that the posters here are telling porkies when relating their personal experiences of the GSP?

Do you have to learn everything the hard way....by personal experience?   And does that mean that you ignore a seller's bad feedback on the grounds that it has not happened to you?

Perhaps part of me was holding out a bit of hope that I would have a good experience with it and that it might just be luck of the draw with some? Nothing wrong we me wanting to weigh things up myself rather than just running with the mob.

Anyway I have decided how I will word the feedback when I get around to it, and I won't be touching the stars in relation to postage and handling charges so all should be fine I guess.

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

I won't be touching the stars in relation to postage and handling charges so all should be fine I guess.

As I posted above, that wouldn't have any effect on the seller performance standards anyway, so not much of a 'concession' from you to the seller.

Why do you think the seller should have your message/thoughts about 'GSP' left in feedback for one of their items they sold?

Using feedback to campagin against/warn others about GSP isn't right., especially when you received the item as described and the time it took to receive it took about the same time as many others have posted in their experiences. 

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

I have no plans to mention GSP, nor to leave neg/neutral fb or ding stars. Seller will receive appropriate feedback.

All I will say is thankyou for popping up the link for the GSP policies and faqs and I will leave it at that for now.

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

Maybe it has a lot to do with the fact ebay takes a slug out of the final value,so if it's a $10 item and $10 to post,they get a cut of $20,but if it's $10 item and $50 post ,they get a cut of $60.It's the same with free shipping and why ebay encourages it.If I buy small items,say cheap jewellry and its $5.00 for the item and $5.00 postage,so it's $10 with free shipping.If I was to buy 5 of these,it will cost me $50.00 so ebay gets a cut of $50.00.Without free shipping the items would cost me $25 and all put in the $5.00 package,then ebay would only get a cut of $30.00

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

Look I'm an anarchist when it comes to using the GSP.

VOTE WITH YOUR FEET.

Do not buy items where the seller only ships via the GSP. EBay will eventually get the message that the GSP in it's present form is a TOTAL FAILURE.

eBay has confirmed there is a technical issue with the GSP that buyers only get the message to 'Contact the Seller' in relation to postage costs. International buyers are being hoodwinked to believe the seller offers Priorit yPaid International when they are really offering the GSP. This amounts to misleading conduct on the seller's and eBays part because the service is not correctly described.

In Australia I'm launching legal action against eBay for "deliberate and unconciable misleading conduct" with regards to the GSP service.

Also I now contact all international sellers before I bid that I won't bid if they are offering the GSP as the only International Post service. If everyone does this sellers will get the message and untick the GSP box when they determibe there shipping method.

DO IT NOW. Contact the seller for every international item and clearly state you won't bid if they offer the GSP. Selllers can't afford to lose their international buyers.

I'm currently sending up to 100 messages a week to International sellers with the following (please copy):

Sorry I would have bid a substantail amount for this auction but I see you are offering the GSP as a poastal service. I won't bid on items where the Global Shipping Program is the poastal service. This is due to the very high cost for no benefit over thw normal cost of USPS Priority Paid International Service. Please complain to eBay that you are losing buyers due to the GPS.

Also use a similar text when providing feedback on postage costs.

YOU can bring eBay to its knees if you follow this advice.

Darryl

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

@gunnaparty2 wrote:

Maybe it has a lot to do with the fact ebay takes a slug out of the final value,so if it's a $10 item and $10 to post,they get a cut of $20,but if it's $10 item and $50 post ,they get a cut of $60.It's the same with free shipping and why ebay encourages it.If I buy small items,say cheap jewellry and its $5.00 for the item and $5.00 postage,so it's $10 with free shipping.If I was to buy 5 of these,it will cost me $50.00 so ebay gets a cut of $50.00.Without free shipping the items would cost me $25 and all put in the $5.00 package,then ebay would only get a cut of $30.00

Except that unlike here in Oz, in the US, where the GSP is limited to and only concerns international shipments, the FVF is only charged on the first domestic postage option. 

Meaning if the seller posts within the US for $0, and an international buyer purchases the item and is charged $50 in postage either via the seller's own choice of postage service or the GSP, FVF is charged on item price plus $0 postage. 

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

No

It is clearly advertised on every listing that the item is to be shipped via the GSP. Feedback should be about the transaction itself, not the method of shipping used, except if there's been a problem due to the seller shipping differently to advertised.

I recently saw feedback left for a seller where the buyer left multiple negs because items were damaged during shipping and they had to pay the cost of shipping to return the items to the seller. Why blame the seller?

Anyone buying fragile or hard to find items should try and avoid the GSP or take the risk that the item will be poorly re-packaged at Pitney Bowes and damaged during shipment.

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply