Goods not in Australia

eeglez
Community Member
I am getting frustrated trying find a particualr item that is and will be shipped from Australia. why is this important to me? Because the item in question is over $1000 and whilst various sellers state that the item is in Australia I cannot get a guarantee that this is really the case. If the item is unavailable in Aust then it will be sent to me from oseas....ie China, HKG, Taiwan etc. If this happens then I will be liable to pay import taxes, GST ect. because the value is over the allowed $1000 and this then defeats the purpose of buying thru Ebay. I may as well walk into Harvey Norman and pay top dollar.
Bottom line..... I think if a seller claims an item to be available in Australia then that is how it should be and not an import coz that then is very misleading and false advertising.
Ebay admin needs to put rules in place to stop this practice.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Goods not in Australia

Theres are some types of goods that just don't work well being sold via ebay, with the cheapest available actually being imported after sale only. 

If this is a pattern you are discovering with the type of goods you are after, then maybe bite the bullet and buy from domestic B&M store.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

I have no idea what it is you are trying to buy but for something worth that much I would not be buying on an auction site unless it was pick up only and it was the type of item that could be fully examined and tested before I handed the cash over.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

what i dont like, is you see an item listed as "posted from australia" or "item location : Australia" till you read further into the listing to find that their location is actually the UK or china. They should not be allowed to do this, as it is false advertising. But ebay does squat about it. 

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

We are given the opportunity to report listings that we perceive contain any policy violation.

For a listing that is clearly misrepresenting the location, such as you say has Australia at the top and another country in the body, use the report function thusly:

Scroll down the listing to just above the item description, look to the right hand side and click "Report Iem"

Next, you will be shown three drop down boxes.

1. Report Category: choose "Listing practices"

2. Reason for Report: choose "Other listing practices"

3. Detailed Reason: choose "Item location misrepresentation"

Choosing this combination gives a little summary that says "The item location information in the listing may be misleading or doesn't match the description."  Then you are given the link to read the whole policy (strongly recommended) before clicking the blue "Continue" button to proceed with the report.

It may take a while for the listing to be reviewed, and may not even be removed, but you can rest easy knowing you have done your part.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply