Help me please

kjsmu-3
Community Member

I have been gifted a gift card $20 and I have now spent it the gifter has decided to take it back and he is threatening to report me for fraud. Which I didn’t do. What will really happen?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Help me please

how can the 'gifter' take it back if you've already used it?

More information required....

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Help me please

@kjsmu-3 wrote:

I have been gifted a gift card $20 and I have now spent it the gifter has decided to take it back and he is threatening to report me for fraud. Which I didn’t do. What will really happen?

What business is the gift card from?

Who do they plan to report you for fraud to, considering it is the grand total of $20?

What will really happen,  they will be laughed at I suspect

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Help me please

Just out of curiosity, what was the reasoning behind asking for it back? 

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Help me please

Once you give someone a gift, that gift is no longer yours, so the person who gave you that card can't do anything, even if you drifted apart. As a matter of fact, if it were an object for example instead of a gift card, if they came to your house and took it back it would be theft because it is no longer theirs but yours. A gift is like transferring property, and not like lending something to someone. It does not belong to the person who gives the gift any more.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Help me please

They gave you a gift and want it back?

Bizarre.

What does this have to to with Ebay though?

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Help me please

OP, if you don't come back, I'm suspecting a wind -up

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Help me please

I was wondering the same

Unless maybe it was a 'sweetener' with a purchase?

Odd for a seller to just give away a gift card otherwise ? 

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Help me please

That, or someone is fishing for info on whether to take the threat seriously for other reasons (happens sometimes, i.e. someone asks for "how do I deal with scenario A" when they are in no such situation, just want to know how to game the system etc; I can't imagine any rational person giving someone something and then accusing them of fraud for using it, no matter how much they might regret giving it away. Not all people are rational though, I suppose. 😅 )

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Help me please

Can you tell us more (without mentioning names)? Was it for example a gift card that was a reward for something you had bought and then something went wrong and you sent back the item?

Anyway, you could always pay them $20. I doubt they would do anything though, as legal costs are much higher than that, so it would be inconvenient for them to sue you for fraud for $20.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply