Hi,I found an item for sale on FB marketplace, would eBay become involved with the sale & payment?

This is the message I received:

Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay I chose to hire them to take care of the whole selling process as I cannot leave the military base. The delivery process will be managed by me.
I think I can have it there at your home address within 1-2 working days.You will have 5 days to test and inspect the car, prior to making any purchase. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money.  
Only when you give the confirmation to eBay that you are satisfied by the car and wanna keep it, they will release the funds to me, otherwise, they will refund you the full amount of money without any question, and you can ship the car back on my expense.I

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Hi,I found an item for sale on FB marketplace, would eBay become involved with the sale & payment?

100% scam - like, I scanned throgh the message, saw "military base" and knew, lol. 

Cease all communication with whoever it is - there is no car, there is no eBay escrow system, there is only someone wanting to take your money.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

If you had agreed, the next step would be to ask for a copy of your Drivers Licence and other details, after which your life would become a hellish existence as the scammers would use identity theft to cause all sorts of problems for you.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

SCAM  SCAM  SCAM........100% SCAM.

Do not have any further contact with them....this scam has been around for ages and people still fall for it.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@blueboy741 wrote:

This is the message I received:

Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay I chose to hire them to take care of the whole selling process as I cannot leave the military base. The delivery process will be managed by me.
I think I can have it there at your home address within 1-2 working days.You will have 5 days to test and inspect the car, prior to making any purchase. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money.  
Only when you give the confirmation to eBay that you are satisfied by the car and wanna keep it, they will release the funds to me, otherwise, they will refund you the full amount of money without any question, and you can ship the car back on my expense.I

Just one of the many threads in 'motors' -

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Motors/is-this-fake/m-p/2397865#M1470

Why would eBay have anything to do with Facebook? There are a few alarms you should recognise -

cross platform deals;

too good to be true prices;

bank transfers;

the fact that eBay doesn't do escrow;

commonsense

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

See this thread: https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Purchase-Toyota-Prado-through-Ebay-Motor/m-p/2398565#M119430

I posted an in-depth reply explaining the scam, echoing what has already been explained by the other replies here.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply