How did a seller get my email address when I was only browsing?

Last night I was browsing on ebay. I looked at a store that had various items I was interested in, but was only browsing. This morning I have received an email from that store advertising a Sale. How did this seller get my email address from me browsing their items? Aaarh this makes me really angry.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Have you ever bought from the store in the past?

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

was the email from eBay or the seller?

I get emails from eBay all the time regarding items I have looked at but not put on my watch list.  It makes me laugh when I get an email regarding an item I have looked at due to a post by a member here in the discussion forums, especially the ones for questionable items.

Here'a part of an email I got from eBay just days ago for an item I looked at

IMG_0218.JPG

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Lucky you never bought it at that price you might have been scammed.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

The email was from the seller. Yes i have got emails before from sellers i have purchased from but never unsolicited from browsing. I unsubscribed from the mailing list and was directed to a page called Swiftpage, a digital marketing company. the seller replied to my query, quote- "please i am not sure myself how i got your email; shall be deleted today"

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

I have never purchased from the seller 

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

I have revisited the email which was sent to my private email address from an ebay user, whose store I was browsing last night. At the bottom of their unsolicitated email was an unsubscribe button which took me to a page titled SWIFTPAGE which unsubscribed me from the users email list. I googled SWIFTPAGE and found it is a Digital Marketing Company. I found and used their phone number, speaking to someone in Technical (the only option to talk to a person) who told me they provide their clients with a program which mines email addresses. I spoke to ebay who said users cannot get our email addresses unless you make a transaction, duh I know that, so how did this other user get my email from me browsing in their store? After much tooing and froing ebay lady finally agreed to look into it, but I had to remind her she would probably need me to provide the need the name of the offending user. BEWARE because it seems your information is not secure.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I can't say I have ever noticed receiving an email from a seller when I have only browsed his store but to be honest I really would not be all that fussed about it. 

The Unsubscribe buton is easy to find and use.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply