How do I get in on this scam!

**dug**
Community Member

Bought an ABS unit. They shipped a piece of junk someone had put an axe through. I asked to return it, they said they'd send me a non-broken one. 2 weeks later... nothing' i lodged a refund request ( paid via paypal ). Somehow, they managed to generate  a fake refund number and never actually refund my money. The link to the transaction page on ebay that takes me to the PayPal transaction is 404. 

Seems pretty easy to scam people through ebay / PayPal... how do I get in on it? Asking for a friend. 

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Have you checked the paypal transaction to see if the refund was actioned?

It should show if the refund has been done.

The refund will go back to the funding source.....if you used a credit card or Visa debit card the refund will go back to the card and takes a few days to show.

If the funding source was a ban account the money will remain in your paypal account an you will have to transfer it manually to your bank account.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Did you open a refund request, or a dispute for item not as described? You need to open the latter through eBay. If it's too late to open an eBay dispute, then open one through PayPal. Do not close either dispute until you have a refund. If the seller wants to item back, they have to pay for return postage. Some sneaky sellers will try to convince you that you need to close a dispute before they can issue a refund. That is false, and you will never see a refund.

For future reference, if something doesn't arrive, or something arrives broken, don't accept an offer of a replacement. Always opt for a refund. Then you have the option to buy the item again, rather than have it too late to get a refund.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Firstly, no-one is going to tell you how to scam people either for a friend or yourself. If you are joking, then suggest that there are those who may take you seriously. Sending fake payment or refund information via emails is an old scam. You need to go by what shows in your Paypal account, and not go through any links in emails to get there. Always log into Paypal directly, or though eBay. Refunds will show there regardless of whether it is refunded to your Paypal account or your bank account. You just need to find the transaction in Paypal, and if it is refunded then it will say "refunded". Giving you a refund number smells of SCAM. There is no reason for any refund number or emails outside of eBay. Get eBay involved to get your money back.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply