How do I make a formal complaint about a seller who has deliberately been deceptive

I have purchased 'glass' bottles as the listing stated in Title Heading on listing and many times in the descrioption below. I received plastic bottles. The seller has changed the description  since I questioned them and added 'Plastic' to the description  'material' but the rest of the listing still says 'Glass' everywhere else!!! 

The seller is still questioning ME as if I made an error instead of apologising, immediately offering a refund and removing the word 'Glass' from everywhere else in the listing. Either their IQ is not very high or they are just hoping I'll go away.

The one major thing Ebay lacks is a process for buyers to report misleading and unscrupulous sellers, while Ebay may be quick to refund on the sellers behalf for these types of transactions  it seems to do little to discourage such dishonesty by sellers.

Also once I selected the 'Refund' Ebay does not allow feed back, this is another major flaw. I wanted to warn other buyers of this deceptive sellers incorrect description of the product. I should still be able to do this in an instance where the seller has been blatantly misleading. Next time I encounter a seller like this I know to leave feedback BEFORE I ask for a refund!!

cIs there any warning or penalty directed at sellers who behave dishonestly and unscrupulously??? Does Ebay recoup the refunded money back from the seller??? 

How many buyers have bought from this seller and had to be refunded because they bought 'glass' bottles and received plastic bottles???? How many don't bother for such a small $$$ amount? I guess this type of seller makes plenty from buyers who don't bother to get a refund so they're not overly concerned when they get away with it and are not penalised.

SELLER: <Removed>

LISITNG: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Amber-Glass-Trigger-Spray-Pump-Bottles-Essential-Oil-Aromatherapy-1pcs-H...

This listing is still majorly deceptive!!

This is one of the photos of the listing I sent to the seller when they asked  'could you help us circle the 'GLASS'.  I have before and after images of the listing  description, seller added/changed 'Material' to plastic after I complained and requested a refund

Circle 'Glass'??.....you've got to be kidding!!!!!!

I would like a formal reply with answers to my questions:

Why can't I still leave feedback to warn other buyers?

What consequences are there for dishonest sellers?

Why is there not the option to 'Report' unscrupulous sellers?

What action will Ebay take against this particular seller?

Is there any warning or penalty directed at unscrupulous sellers who display with such blatant dishonesty?

Does Ebay recoup the refunded money back from the seller? 

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 10.00.43 am.png

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

How do I make a formal complaint about a seller who has deliberately been deceptive

I was not able to see in your post where/when you opened and item not as described dispute?

The seller is in China and already has a lot of negs and neuts , like so many others 

Also very common antics of such sellers

As for you request for a formal reply as the why, you would need to contact eBay

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

@punkyb66 wrote:

I would like a formal reply with answers to my questions:

Why can't I still leave feedback to warn other buyers?

What consequences are there for dishonest sellers?

Why is there not the option to 'Report' unscrupulous sellers?

What action will Ebay take against this particular seller?

Is there any warning or penalty directed at unscrupulous sellers who display with such blatant dishonesty?

Does Ebay recoup the refunded money back from the seller? 

You should be able to leave feedback - try going here and clicking "leave Feedback" at the top right.
https://pages.ebay.com.au/services/forum/feedback.html

Consequences for dishonest sellers vary - it's mostly a numbers game, in the sense that it depends on their sales volume and number of complaints. eBay will apply higher fees to sellers who fall below certain standards, or restrict their account if they do not resolve buyer complaints.

Opening a dispute for item not as described is the report function, in essence. If a listing is active, you can also use the "Report Listing" option (there's a link just above the description on the right).

eBay never disclose the action they take against another member - most consequences are invisible to everyone except the seller, unless / until they are restricted from selling.

If you are refunded by eBay, 99.9% of the time that money is taken directly from the seller. 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

I am sorry for your predicamernt and dont want to appear rude.  Did you in fact check the seller feedback before you purchased?  Yoy say you want to leaver fedback to warn others but did you check before you purchased.  It is a very low feedback for a high volume seller.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Yes I always check feedback for sellers
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

I know how to leave feedback but after I selected 'return' item the 'leave feedback' option was n o longer available for this listing.

Thanks for the advice on the link to report the listing, in my  opinion it should be located along with 'contact seller' 'Leave Feedback' etc....it's not very user friendly.

I have just reported this listing but not happy there is no option to give my own description of misleading product description. it appears the listing no longer exists so after all the unnessessary time it has taken to do all this I can say at least I'm satisfied they are not listing that item anymore.

The seller themselves argued the point at length when it was made very clear what the problem was. I guess when they are a large company selling multiple items they just dind't care all that much.

Thanks again for your help.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@punkyb66 wrote:

I know how to leave feedback but after I selected 'return' item the 'leave feedback' option was n o longer available for this listing.

I read that. But there are multiple ways to access the option to leave feedback, and sometimes if it's not available directly through your account, it remains available the other ways - more often than not, people don't know the other ways to access the option to leave feedback, hence my posting the link to one of the other ways.

That being said, if eBay have removed the listing (i.e. no trace of it on site, even when you click on it through your purchase history), then the option to leave feedback does disappear completely - it shouldn't work that way, but linking feedback directly to items and listings the way they do, it's probably something they didn't think about when designing the system and now just leave as is for one reason or another. 

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply