How do i ask seller for a tax invoice to be provided with purchased item?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If they are a business seller and are registered for GST they will automatically send a tax invoice.....most sellers will state this in the listing.   If they miss sending it you can ask after the parcel arrives.

Not all businesses are registered for GST....if they are not registered they cannot provide a tax invoice.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

You can also print out your eBay order and this is acceptable as a tax invoice for claiming.
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

The ebay invoice is not sufficient to use in the preparation of your BAS as it does not specify the amount of GST.  Only the seller can issue a Tax Invoice....and then only if they are registered for GST.

The ebay invoice is sufficient to claim the item as a tax deduction only.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

hud303
Community Member

If the item was purchased from an Australian seller you will need to contact the seller and ask them to provide a Tax Invoice (if they are registered to collect GST). I usually send the seller a message during the purchase to find out if theyre collecting GST and then if they confirm they are, then I get them to send me a Tax Invoice as part of the purchase or include one in the package containing the goods.

If the purchase is from overseas then Ebay collects the GST on behalf of the Australian Goverment and you can print out or Download a Tax Invoice through the 'My Ebay' section of the website.

• Sign in to Ebay
  • Go to MyEbay
  • Click on Purchase History
  • Click on the purchased item
  • Click on Order Details (in the green bar)
  • Next to the ‘Sold by’ Seller name … is + Show additional actions, click on this box
  • Then click on Tax Invoice – Download PDF
Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

I folowed the instructions and clicked on show additional items.  Howeer, there is no option to print a tax invoice.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

There will only be an option to print a Tax Invoice if the seller is registered for GST.

If not, all you can get is the paypal invoice which is sufficient fo a tax claim but not for doing your BAS.

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Thats not correct at all. NO such tax invoices exist. I have purchased over 40 items in the last tax year and even though more than half have ABN numbers, None had tax invoices here.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

I'm not sure which post of lyndal's you're referring to, but here's both of them with the relevant parts highlighted. So unless the seller is registered for GST they cannot issue a tax invoice. Also I'm not at all certain that a seller is forced to provide a tax invoice anyway, unless requested by the buyer.

"The ebay invoice is not sufficient to use in the preparation of your BAS as it does not specify the amount of GST.  Only the seller can issue a Tax Invoice....and then only if they are registered for GST.

The ebay invoice is sufficient to claim the item as a tax deduction only."

"There will only be an option to print a Tax Invoice if the seller is registered for GST.

If not, all you can get is the paypal invoice which is sufficient for a tax claim but not for doing your BAS."

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

As per ATO regulation, business turnover below certain threshold does not require ABN holder to register for GST. Probably, that is one of the reasons sellers don't keep tax invoice option when adding an item to sell. 

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply