How does one fix an issue with a seller for a webcam bought in May 2020 -

When the webcam arrived the picture was blurred - I communicated this to the seller and he advised that h would send a replacement - now 6 months alter he washes his hands of it .eBay is hopeless in this situation as one is in a perpetual loop with no phone.number!

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: How does one fix an issue with a seller for a webcam bought in May 2020 -

Unfortunately, by now I'm a few days past 180 - I'd forgotten about the Paypal angle. All that is left to me is revenge!

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

@garretsha-2 wrote:

Unfortunately, by now I'm a few days past 180 - I'd forgotten about the Paypal angle. All that is left to me is revenge!

I don't know that there really is any way to get revenge as such. You've left it too late to leave feedback or get money back, which would have been the best way to get a just result if sold a faulty product.

I realise the seller strung you along and didn't keep his word. But... he did initially send the item and I am sure he most likely thought it was operational.

So he's not a totally evil scammer, although he hasn't done the right thing by you. He's tried to wriggle out in the name of profit.

You also have to accept that you didn't handle it 100% either and probably should have acted a lot sooner, so you can look at it as a bit of a learning curve.

Focussing on revenge now will only affect your own health and wellbeing and sometimes it is better to try to put it behind you and move on if you can. I'm not trying to downgrade your experience, I know from my own experiences it can be upsetting, but sometimes it is just more constructive to move past it.

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

@garretsha-2 wrote:

That's a shame. I was hoping that it may have been in later in that month then you would have scraped through OK.

You have evidence of the seller's misleading you. It's a shame that eBay doesn't act on that and  cut the seller's privileges.

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

Revenge is mine sayeth the Lord - as an avowed atheist, I have to do my own thing!

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

@garretsha-2 wrote:

Revenge is mine sayeth the Lord - as an avowed atheist, I have to do my own thing!

Karma comes around. Revenge often bites the revenger.

Let it go. Move on. Be more discriminating on who you buy from.

If, as you have hinted, you plan to buy something in order to claim INR/INAD/leave negative feedback that could well bite you.

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

eBay is rigged for the cheating buyer - necessary to even the odds!

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

@garretsha-2 wrote:

Many of the sellers that visit the boards would wholeheartedly agree with you there.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

@garretsha-2 wrote:

It is indeed. As a buyer you would know that well.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

@garretsha-2 wrote:

I think you are right & it is one of the reasons I have kept away from returning to selling as I used to do years ago. The sort of things I sold would have often been the kind where some buyers were tempted to cheat.

But you're the buyer in this case.Smiley Happy

I realise you made a typo and meant seller, but in fact, as the buyer, you had the odds there in your favour, if only you had used them.

When things go wrong, when something doesn't turn up or is faulty, you, the buyer have the power to open an ebay claim or if that doesn't work, a paypal claim.

You didn't do it.

That's why I said earlier, treat it as a learning curve, don't allow yourself to be talked into doing nothing if there is a next time.

The odds are all in your favour if you act.

As for revenge, if you're thinking of following the advice that has been removed, about false INAD claims etc, it is fraught with potential trouble. It may be that this seller has you blocked now anyway or if you did re-buy, would smell trouble and cancel a sale, but even if he didn't, you're looking at an overseas sale, where you'd be out of pocket upfront for return postage and might have to battle or wait to get it back. Then what if the second item sent was no better than the first anyway? All that trouble for nothing.

If I were you, I'd be inclined to just look for a better brand from an Australian seller. Or buy from a shop where you'll have a decent guarantee that will be honoured.

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

etb321
Community Member

I sold a webcam.The buyer said the picture was blurred. I suggested turning the lens part of the camera (which moves the lens in and out). Never heard back. 

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply