How far back in time can you claim a "did not arrive" item? What's the time limit?

Hi, I have bought a heap of items from o'seas. I am quite used to the fact that many items don't arrive in the 'estimated time of delivery' and I don't penalise sellers for this if an item is "late".

I am honest & do click the "NO" button when it asks 'Did this item arrive by XYZ" but I don't penalise the seller by leaving a neutral or negative if it's just 'late'. 

SO...I have several items that are outstanding by 3+ weeks. (Bought around 25-28 May. Due by 14-27 & 28 June - so I have waited 3 weeks beyond the 'last day to arrive' expectation.)

My question is, does the 'right/ability' to claim a "did not receive" ever expire? 

I am happy to be patient as I know international mail can be fickle, so i don't make a claim the day (or week) after an item is 'expected' to arrive. How long is reasonable? Will my right/ability to make a claim expire?

Thanks 🙂

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

How far back in time can you claim a "did not arrive" item? What's the time limit?

Yes 30 days after the estimated date of arrival

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

If paid via PayPal, 30 days from last ETA in eBay.

180 days in Paypal.

image host
Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Cheers! Thanks for that! 🙂

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks so much for the extra info! 🙂

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

While you say you do not penalise the seller if the item arrives after the date estimated by ebay, you are in fact penalising them by being "honest" and clicking No to the ebay question.  The seller gets a defect which can be far more damaging to their ability to sell than any red dot in their feedback.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

What do you suggest? I can't seem to get it 'right' in your eyes! LOL! I am just answering the question 'did it arrive within the specified time. It it's a day or two out I click yes but 2 weeks out I click no. I didn't realise it was a 'defect' against the seller...i thought it was just answering a question. Until i came to the forums I had no idea of the 'conswequences' of each 'click' I make. It's not explained anywhere that I recall. 

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

It is not whether you get it right or wrong in my eyes.....I have just stated the cold hard facts and how your "honesty" can have consequences for the seller whether intentional or not.

If you really want to "get it right" you should look at whether the seller has posted the item within their stated timeframe.   If yes, then give them positive and 5 stars for postage.  And ignore the question....just don't answer it.

By doing this you are actually rating the seller....not Australia Post's erratic delivery system.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

OK, thanks for that. 🙂 Cheers!

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

As I understood it lyndal, if the seller has posted within their handling time over the counter and uploaded the tracking number that question doesn't appear.

The problem arises when either posting parcels in the red box where scanning is unlikely to happen for a while, or sending in a letter when there's no tracking anyway, the seller can get penalised for so-called late postage by eBay due to their unrealistic ETA's.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply