How should I deal with a misleading item?

Okay. I haven't really had any issues on eBay yet, but I was wondering how I should respond to this problem.

I recently ordered a game and art book from somebody. The picture that was given showed the game and the cover of the book, which looked immaculate. However, when it arrived today, it seems that the picture was misleading. The game looked exactly as the picture showed, but the back of the book (Which also was a detailed picture) had crayon drawn on the back.

I'm pretty neurotic about my books being in good condition, and I might not have bought the book if I saw the condition of the other side. What should I do in this situation? Am I wrong about this being an issue?

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

This would also be an issue for me if there was no mention of it in the description, not just the photo.

The first thing you should always do is send a message to the seller. They might try to resolve the problem without getting Ebay involved. If you get no satisfation there then open a case for 'item not as described'. Take a picture of the back to upload to the case.

Latest reply

You seem to be saying that there was a photo of the back cover which looked clear, but when it arrived it had crayon drawn on it.

I guess what I am wondering is why the seller had a photo of the back of the book and all I can think of is perhaps they thought it would show the crayon marks. But if you didn't notice them in the ad, then obviously the photo didn't do its job.

To my mind, I think anything listed on ebay really should have a photo of any fault PLUS it should be mentioned in the ad.

I'd be disappointed too and annoyed.

What you do next is up to you and depends on how much you want the book.

Firstly, contact the seller, as maranock suggested. Just outline that the ad was misleading as it didn't adequately show the crayon damage. Maybe the seller will offer a partial refund, which may be enough to make you feel better about the deal.

Maybe they will accept a return and refund (at their expense).

You have the option to open an 'item not as described' claim against them through ebay and I would say you would win.

But if you particularly want to keep the book and game, how bad is the crayon damage? Is it a light colour? Could it be rubbed out or improved?

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply