How to get a refund for a purchase with a fake tracking number (not of your purchase)

anwsmh
Community Member

Your situation is this: you have bought an expensive item that has not been
delivered despite the seller providing an Australia Post tracking number that
shows delivery in your suburb.

Since this is sufficient proof of delivery (under eBay's money back guarantee rules) what do you do ?

Firstly, perhaps the fraud could have been prevented had you been careful about determining
whether it was at all likely the seller actually had the item (which is hard to get elsewhere). Is their
answer believable ? A question to the seller before purchase may have saved a world of pain eg
"How can you have these laptops when the Australian distributor has no stock ?"

Unfortunately knowing what should have been done is no help now.

At this point, don't do any of these

1 Complain to anyone likely to listen or may have an interest in the matter

2 Imagine that the item has been mislaid or has been "left in a safe place"

3 Open an eBay case for item not received since the seller has proved that the
item has been delivered (and if the tracking number is for an Express Post envelope,
delivery to a letter box is "proof of signature") and you will lose it. Don't consider an appeal either.

What you should do is this (eBay will eventually tell you, but it will take
time for them to do so and they will probably say it in such a way that you won't want
to do it). Go immediately to an Australia Post mailing centre (not a Post Office) and
say what's happened and ask about the tracking number.

Australia Post will tell informally you whether the delivery was a Parcel or an Envelope &
also whether it was delivered to your address. At this point, it should be clear if the
delivery was nothing to do with you (ie you have been scammed by the seller) or if there's been
a genuine mishap. Since Australia Post have GPS evidence of high value deliveries, there's
little doubt about what they say.

Next, if the delivery was not for your item, open a case with Australia Post (via
a MyPost account - whose delivery history would already have shown that the tracking number
from the seller had nothing to do with you) stating clearly

1 What you bought in enough detail to be clear about the item's size and weight.

2 That the sellet said the item was sent with this tracking number

3 Would they please confirm what was delivered (Envelope or Parcel) and that it was delivered
"as addressed and not to your address" ?

You can then send their email response to eBay to disprove the sellers claim that the
item you paid for was received. Eventually you will get a refund.

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: How to get a refund for a purchase with a fake tracking number (not of your purchase)

I've never been in the situation where I've had a seller send through a false tracking number (or someone else's tracking number?) but it's useful to know how to go about things via a MyPost account.

Did this sort of scam happen to you at some stage? What case did you eventually open with ebay? An item not received claim, I am assuming.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Re: How to get a refund for a purchase with a fake tracking number (not of your purchase)

Springy, I think this is the second time this seller has come up on the boards for scamming. Have a look at the feedback left by the OP and then at the seller's feedback - who is now NARU.

I couldn't track down the other post on this.......

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

In general I don't think Ebay is the place to be buying high value items.

1) There are no warranties, irrespective of what a listing might imply.

2) The chance of getting a cheap and dangerous Chinese knockoff is high

3) Scammers are everywhere

Sending an incorrect tracking number is common with scammers. They rely on the victim opening a dispute for Item Not Received, which they then lose and have to fight.

The trick is to open a case for Not as Described.

Going forward, please purchase from proper Australian shops to at least get warranty and peace of mind.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

The seller sent a legitimate Australia Post tracking number showing the usual history and final status of "delivered" in my suburb, although how that was obtained I have no idea (another buyer victim posted feedback, "Send fake letter to wrong address" although the people I interviewed at the addresses the tracked item may have been delivered to, didn't mention getting an empty envelope or anything strange.)

Yes, I was nearly a considerable sum poorer for being the victim of this sellers criminal behaviour.

I wrongly opened a case with eBay for "item not received". It would have been better not to since the case was found in the sellers favour after an extra delay (as was the appeal).

It was only after eBay invited me to open a case with Australia Post, and the good folks at the delivery centre told me about the delivery that I knew what the seller had done and had the confidence to proceed (getting a formal statement from them and sending it to eBay).

Even now the seller's duplicity astonishes me. They could conceivably explain themselves as having made a mistake (after sending out so many parcels) and having associated the tracking numbers with the wrong purchases ...

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Does NARU mean "Not a Registered User" ?

The sellers profile still exists, with the comment,

"...... is one of eBay's most reputable sellers. Consistently delivers outstanding customer service".

Advanced search by seller shows 0 items for sale by this seller.  Is that what NARU means ?

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

In general I don't think Ebay is the place to be buying high value items ....

Going forward, please purchase from proper Australian shops to at least get warranty and peace of mind.

I think that is excellent advice. I can't see myself (even if I could persuade the minister of Finance to go along with it) buying another high value item from eBay.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Their profile still exists, but they can't log in to their account or do anything.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

@anwsmh wrote:

Does NARU mean "Not a Registered User" ?

Yes, that is correct and it shows that on their feedback page.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

@padi*0409 wrote:

Yes, that is correct and it shows that on their feedback page.

anwsmh_0-1661070136663.png

Thank you very much. I'd looked at the page many times and failed to notice "Not a registered user" in the top part of the feedback page.

It's a relief to see that eBay has acted against this seller and hopefully saved more buyers from a very bad buying experience and the potential loss of a fair amount of money.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply