How to return an item Not As Described to an o/s Seller?

tbt47
Community Member

Hi

I've had a look at the Boards and think I know the answer to this, but just want to confirm.

I bought an item from a US based Seller. When I received it, the item was SNAD.

I raised a Dispute and the Seller has agreed to a Return - the only issue is that he can obviously not raise a return postage label.

Do I simply take the package to the PO and send it off with a tracking label and then upload a photo of the tracking label as well sending him the Tracking Number through the eBay Resolution Centre?

Will eBay then reimburse me for the return postage?

Many thanks for any and all replies.

Cheers

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The only way to guarantee reimbursement via an eBay case, when the seller can't or won't send a postage label, is to get the seller to approve a postage method and/or price. 

Well, that's the only way to guarantee getting reimbursement from eBay in the least frustrating, time-consuming manner (some buyers have had success getting reimbursed after several months of hassling eBay for it). 

If the seller is not responding, you may be better off signing up for PayPal's return shipping offer (you can get reimbursed for return shipping, up to 8 times a year, maximum $45 each time). 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You need to ask the seller if he will reimburse the return postage.  If not then the only way you will get reimbursed by ebay is if you open a dispute, ask ebay to step in and actually win the dispute.

That is a pretty rotton thing to do to the seller who has already agreed to the return without asking him first.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Sorry - I thought I had made it clear.

I won the dispute that I had opened with eBay as the Seller was not replying to my emails.

So my question still stands.

Cheers

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Actually, I may have to amend my above comment(s).....

When the item turned up, it was, as I've mentioned, SNAD.

I attempted to initially contact the Seller via the normal eBay communication channels. He failed to respond.

I then started a Return through the eBay system - he has agreed to the return of the item - so the message went when I opened up the email from eBay.

However, I have just been into my Resolution Centre and it says that there are no cases open/shut/pending....so I'm assuming I may have stuffed up what I was initially attempting to do. <Grumble grumble>

So, I'm assuming the reply from 'eBay' is merely him finally getting back to me and saying 'Yes, I will accept the return?

So - do I go to the PO and see how much it will cost to return the item and let him know?

How does he pay for it if he agrees to the postage?

Thanks and sorry for my lack of understanding of the processes - this is the first time that I've had to return an item.

Cheers

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Something is not right here. Once ebay step in and say you have won they should tell the seller to arange for the return. The seller then has so many days to comply or issue a refund without the need for a return, what a sensible seller does if the item is worth less than the return postage or is too NAD to resell at a profit.

If that is the stage you have got to and you have checked Paypal to make sure you have not received a refund and there is no mention of the dispute in the ebay resolution centre you need to give them a call.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

The message from eBay states that if the Seller has not issued a return label by the 20th, to contact them for assistance.

The Seller can't - as I understand the postal service - send a return postage label as he's based in the US.

The item is worth more than the postage.

Cheers

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

The only way to guarantee reimbursement via an eBay case, when the seller can't or won't send a postage label, is to get the seller to approve a postage method and/or price. 

Well, that's the only way to guarantee getting reimbursement from eBay in the least frustrating, time-consuming manner (some buyers have had success getting reimbursed after several months of hassling eBay for it). 

If the seller is not responding, you may be better off signing up for PayPal's return shipping offer (you can get reimbursed for return shipping, up to 8 times a year, maximum $45 each time). 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Thank you for your help and the suggestions of the other Posters.

Too late now to go to the PO so I'll have to go on Monday and find out the costs and then contact the Seller to see if he's 'happy'.

I've also emailed eBay and asked them to confirm that this is the best way.

Quite frankly it's a bit of a PITA, but it is what it is.

Cheers

PS: I hope to God that I never have to return 8 items ever, let alone 8 times a year!

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

OK i KNOW this is an old thread, but there may be still valid info here.

o/seas seller sent me incorrect item.  they've agreed to the return via ebay returns, but as in OPs post they can't send a postage label.

so will be approx $90 to return to them... I haven't reboxed the fragile thing up yet(this is looking at the AP calculator)

seller says they don't have time to deal with this nonsense (yes they apologised for the initial mistake) but calling it nonsense when its their mistake is rather rude... its my inconvience!

my q is .... it came global shipping.  they've asked for it to be sent back insured.  I assume global shipping is insured - reading ebay info ... says you need to return it trackable, so I'm looking at standard airmail with insurance....  If I add on insurance do I receive all the postage fees back (along with the refund for the initial purchase and the global shipping?).  all in all over $200 to be temporarily out of pocket but so be it.

TIA

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply