How to see unpaid strikes on account.

OK, I'm getting really annoyed with EBay's secret information on strikes.  Long story short, I recently received 2 unpaid strikes from a seller because they told me I could wait until the last auction and then request a combined invoice. Trouble is, they didn't realise they had the sale set up for automatic cancellation after 4 days without payment. I suddenly find myself with 2 strikes and most of my bids blocked. Am annoyed that I received no notification form e-bay. I only knew about it when a bis was rejected. Am in the process of getting the strikes removed. During one of many chat sessions I also discovered I had a strike from some time ago that I wasn't even aware of.  In that instance I had purchased a medallion by mistake  along with several lots of coins. I contacted the seller (who sells hundred of the same items every month) and explained that the medallion was a mistake as I only collect coins and would they be kind enough to cancel the order which they did. I thought it was a mutual transaction until I found out they had cancelled it using non-paying bidder and given me a strike. I would have paid for them had I known that! 

Anyway, how does one find out how many strikes and the dates? I have seen references to using the resolution centre but none of these went through the resolution process.  Seems like some hidden information that EBay keeps to itself.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@ekrabappel wrote:

Anyway, how does one find out how many strikes and the dates? I have seen references to using the resolution centre but none of these went through the resolution process.  Seems like some hidden information that EBay keeps to itself.

The only way would be to contact CS as you did, and ask them. I'm not sure why eBay witholds the information from the buyer themself but no doubt they would cite "privacy concerns". You say that the strikes didn't come from a resolution case - that's because eBay has streamlined the non-payment process, as you are aware, and sellers can now automatically process non-payers to get their fees back and relist.

At least those strikes drop off after 12 months.

On a similar note, I think eBay should show all negs and neutrals for sellers on their feedback page and not just those in the last 12 months, without buyers having to search through the seller's feedback.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

I agree with you that your number of strikes should be clearly visible.

If privacy is a concern for ebay, then they could at least show the bare numbers without linking it to a particular sale.  The date when a strike will fall off the radar should also be visible.

To me, one of the main reasons to give a buyer a strike would be so a seller can record they have not been paid and to get their fees back and also... the information can be used by other sellers to block a buyer.

To some extent, a strike is a 'punishment' or a 'consequence' and I can't see the point of it if a buyer doesn't know about it.

I'm not saying that applies in your case, I think you have been very unlucky and you'd think if the chat people can see the messages where the seller told you you could wait, that they would remove the strikes. I would anyway, if I worked at ebay, but I don't. Good luck.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

As an occasional seller I'm not against the strike system but from the responses, yes, it seems a buyer cannot access that information which is really bizarre. At present I have to place a bid on a known seller with a 2 strike ban to see if it has been removed. Crazy.  As for privacy I call BS. They are strikes against an account owned by me so why the privacy? It harks back to the old days of doctors not giving patients access to their own medical records.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

eBay's reason for not having visible non-payment strikes may possibly be allied to the reason eBay doesn't allow negative feedback for buyers.

That is, eBay believes that buyers buy more if they don't have a visible "slap". They removed the option to give a buyer a negative, so that buyers can only have a sea of lovely, lovely green. In eBay's mind, an invisible strike is a way to protect sellers from risky buyers without giving said buyers a feeling of outrage.

I doubt that eBay will make those strikes visible. I think some sellers would love to be able to see those strikes; I also think most sellers have little interest in a visible mark on a buyer who hasn't paid for items, because they sell almost exclusively with Buy It Now items. There's no value in being able to block a buyer manually as one might do in in an auction, because with BIN there's no way to foretell who is going to buy the item. It's much more effective for sellers who simply want to minimise their risks to set their buyer requirements.

You may well have a good reason for not paying; eBay tend to accept buyer explanations.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

I agree with you that the probable reason ebay doesn't allow buyers to see any strikes against them is it could be a turn off to them. They might get in a huff and up stumps and leave.

When I said strikes should be visible, I didn't mean to everyone but only to the person who receives the strike.

I do think though that in some respects a buyer could work out if they had a strike at all. Usually if you don't pay for something you will get a notice from ebay that the seller has reported no payment and that you need to pay asap in order not to incur any possible restrictions on your account. Words to that effect.

I know because years ago I did not go ahead with a pick up purchase as it was definitely not as described ( it was a high chair that could not be folded closed).

I contested the non payment claim and won so any strike would have been removed but I definitely knew the seller had opened a case.

Perhaps though if ebay does not wish to show people any strikes against them, then if a buyer went to buy something and found themselves blocked, an ebay message could come up to explain they are blocked and give a list of reasons why that could happen. I'm guessing some of the reasons could be that the seller doesn't sell to the buyer's location etc but in the list would be mention of too many unpaid items in the past.

We sometimes get people on here who have been blocked but don't know why. Maybe a list of possible reasons would help them.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Yes, I mean strikes should be visible to the account holder, not to the public.

As for knowing you got a strike I disagree. I discovered I had an unpaid strike from almost a year ago only because I was trying to resolve this current issue. The strike involved several lots of coins that I bid on. I accidentally bid on a PNC medal thinking it was a coin. I contacted the seller and requested to cancel that one item but was still wanted to go ahead and purchase the coins. Seller agreed. I thought it was a mutual cancellation until I discovered the seller had cancelled as unpaid item (will not be buying from that seller again). Also, when you get an automatic order cancellation for non-payment there is a sentence that implies it is up to the seller whether it will affect your account whereas in reality, you get strikes regardless of the sellers actions.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

If you only have one strike, from "nearly a year ago", then it won't affect your buying. If you get 2 or more, then it can. When you get the email message, ebay will tell you if it's a mutual cancellation, or whether you have incurred an unpaid item strike. Maybe check your emails. Also, might pay to check what you are buying. I have bought thousands of coins over the years, never mistaken a medal for a coin.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

@*tipping-point* - Sorry, I wish I could be perfect like you and never make a mistake.  I assume you purchased your thousands of coins on another account, not the zero feedback account you are currently using on the discussion board.  I wonder why you have set up a new account? If a seller agrees to cancel one of a dozen purchases via a polite request, why would any rational person assume they were given an unpaid item strike and be checking details of the emails? I am fully aware of the rules on strikes, but still wonder why EBay does not give access to this information.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

You have lateral access to this information. When your bids/buys start getting rejected, you have probably hit the limit.

If you read the emails, you might have an inkling. Maybe, even, that eBay has given this information. Laterally.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply