I am wrong for wanting a refund?

So I purchased a tablet a few weeks ago.

It says it comes with a 12 month warranty, but after telling the seller that there was no waranty in the package the tablet came with, they said that they have no warranty for it and that I can contact them about it in the next 12months if something goes wrong. 

My dealings in the past I learnt that ebay and paypal only have a smallish window of time that they will help out with the sale of an item. So if something happens say in 6 months after that window, the warranty is purely based on the sellers word and thats all. To me that isnt really a warranty and I wouldnt have purchased that if I knew it at the time.

So am I wrong for wanting to return the item and get a refund and get a tablet from another seller that will give me a real warranty?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: I am wrong for wanting a refund?

exactly.
You should open a dispute based on the grounds of not as described, being that it was described to come with a warranty and it has not.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

the problem with someone like that is that any ebay seller can provide you with any talk of any such service and then not honor such an agreement, and with ebay's terms, they don't have to honor it because it's past feedback and paypal dispute timelines.

this bit of info may apply to face to face sales, but how exactly do you enforce such a thing online?

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

Their promise on the listing, in writing, is the warranty.  It does not have to be on a separate piece of paper in the package.  As per my post above.

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

so in otherwords a "verbal" contract?
Once again, how exactly do you enforce a verbal contract, and if it's in writing, but not with the item physically, then how do you quote, or use as evidence?

OP is right, when you buy something under the precedent that you will get a warranty, then you expect one, as a peace of mind for the product.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

It is in writing.  On the listing. It isn't verbal.  And as per the LAW that is fine.  If OP needed the warranty for any reason in the next 12 months, provided she has kept all the details I have mentioned in a previous post, the ACCC would be on her side. 

And No warranty is a warranty without the proof of purchase - verbal or written.

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

You can quote all the laws and rules you want, but you will be pushing it up hill to get a warrenty claim

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply