I discovered fraud but can't report it

jazzyrosew
Community Member

I discovered a seller reselling the exact second hand computer over and over again using a different user account each time.

A search through 'complted listings' shows this item has sold many times now.

I suspect it is someone using 'phishing' techniques to get user names and passwords, then using that user account to sell expensive items then never deliver them. I have tried multiple times to report this to ebay but nowhere can I explain my suspicions, only report the item number.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Don't mention the name or item number, but what is the exact item title ?

image host
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

If you simply want to report it and ebay to look at it, go to customer support in the top right corner.

Select contact ebay, select buying and report a member.

Then send us an email.

There you can write your concerns and ebay will look at it.

image host
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

As mentioned,please give us the full listing title.

We can then investigate and report the item/seller,and I'll show you how to report these type of items,(I have a bit of experience in knowing how to report).

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

.. and more people report it more likely something is going to happen.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

jazzyrosew
Community Member

Thanks for your help.

I will provide a detailed report as soon as I reply here.

If you search completed listings for "New 2012 Macbook Pro 15" or 17" Apple i7 / 3 years Warranty" you will see what I mean.

I have checked all or most of the members accounts selling this item and although they are all different, they are all in the UK.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

jazzyrosew
Community Member

The irony is that Ebay resommends users to never click on links in emails as this exposes users to phishing attempts, yet ebay themselves send multiple links inside emails!!!!!!!

Typical big business... they dont give a damn about their users.

In my few years fo ebay usage I have recieved literally hundreds of fake ebay emails that look absolutely genuine.

Luckily I use a seperate browser for my ebay stuff so never use links in my emails anyway. (I use Safari for regular browsing, Firefox for ebay/business sites, and Chrome in stealth mode for banking. Even though I use Macs only, you can't be too careful).

The regular user would easily be sucked into clicking on email links and inadvertently logging into fake ebay pages. These bastards must get thousands of suckers. It would be easy for ebay to correct this security flaw, or at least make it harder for scammers to take advantage of it by ebay simply stopping having any links whatsoever in their own emails.

In my view ebay is complicit in these crimes, they have breached user trust by allowing it to continue and have placed themselves wide open to class action suit.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

To report these it's easiest to click on Report item link on the listing,(above the item number).

Click on the arrow on the box,(it will bring up a drop down menu).

In the Report Category box click on: Listing practices

In the Reason for Report click on:  Fraudulent Listing activities

Then for Detailed Reason click on:
You suspect that a listing is fraudulent.

Then click on continue.

Then once the next screen with the item number comes up click on: send report.

For completed listings you need to click on the blue See original listing,(under the listing title) and then follow the same procedure

eBay will act on these and have done so in the past.

If you find more of these just post them on the Hijack Hunters thread,(when you post it will come up as the most current post): http://community.ebay.com.au/topic/Buying/Temporary-Home-Hijack/600115572?start=3000#msg604949471

We will help report and get these listings removed,:-D

All current and completed listings have being reported,:-D

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

I discovered a seller reselling the exact second hand computer over and over again using a different user account each time.

These are Hijacked accounts,(that's why they are different accounts).

This scammer has done this before and they use a photo as their description so that the wording can't be searched for,X-(

The way to check is to try and copy the wording as in copy and paste,(it can't be done).

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

jazzyrosew
Community Member

And now I get an email from ebay asking me to refrain from this sort of discussion?????

They even remove my post saying that these people have already ripped off at leat $10k?

So Ebay make it hard to report suspicious activity, then when someone tries to save ebay's own users from being ripped off, ebay removes the post?

Typical.

A quick search shows these people are still posting these items using other people's accounts but Ebay is obviously too busy trying to stop me from warning others about it !!!!

It all makes me very concerned about buying expensive items via ebay anymore. If I bought an item via paypal that never came because it was a con listing, would paypal re-imburse me the loss even though the 'seller' had already withdrawn the funds?

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply