paying through paypal

gonzovh
Community Member

I have recently purchased an item from a relatively new seller. When I try to pay for the item through paypal the funds are not going through, the hourglass icon stays there. The seller has since advised me that they have incorrectly input their email address, they have made a typo with a "g" instead of a "d". They have asked me to cancel the payment and pay again through paypal with their correct email address. I am assuming only they can correct their email address as I can not see any way for me to do this on their behalf when in my paypal account. Can you members please help me out, as I too am a relatively new ebayer. Thanks

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

paying through paypal

You can send money to the correct email address yourself. I think there is a "Send Money" tab in Paypal, and when you click that tab you will have to type in the email address of the person you want to send the money to, but I once did it (I just added the insurance on an item), and Paypal told me that if it was an eBay transaction I should rather click on PayNow...

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

paying through paypal

gonzovh
Community Member

I have gone back into my paypal account and have looked at the "send money", when I select that the payment is for ebay item it suggests that I pay through the checkout. This will send the money to the wrong email address. I'm not sure about selecting the other options in the "send money" as the other options are services or goods. If I pay this way will this payment reconcile in "my ebay purchases" or will it show up as still needing to be paid?

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

paying through paypal

ask the Seller to phone paypal and get their correct email address sorted out on the auction item, and THEN resend the invoice to you thru eBay

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

paying through paypal

Unless the seller has access to the incorrectly typed email address, sending money outside of the eBay checkout is the only way you can use PayPal.

There's two ways this can be done - ask the seller to generate an invoice from their PayPal account. If they do this, make sure that the invoice is for goods and accurately reflects your purchase, preferably with the eBay item number included in the description of goods.

Or, use the Send Money tab as suggested. Rather than select 'For eBay Items', as that doesn't work anymore, select 'For Goods'. Put in the relevant information (i.e. same as before - description of goods / eBay item title and number) and send to their email address directly.

As long as the invoice shows that the payment is for eligible goods that are being posted, your buyer protection won't be compromised. Personally, I think the seller-generated invoice is the preferable option.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

paying through paypal

ask the Seller to phone paypal and get their correct email address sorted out on the auction item, and THEN resend the invoice to you thru eBay

I didn't think that was possible?

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

paying through paypal

I didn't think that was possible?

That is by far the easiest way to try first. All it takes is a phonecall (by the seller) and Paypal customer service may sort it out on the spot.

My understanding is that they may have a secret way to "divert" the payment between a "bad email" and a "good account" if it's just a typo that caused it to get stalled.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

paying through paypal

There was a similar thread to this a few weeks ago.

http://community.ebay.com.au/topic/Buying/Paypal-Payment-Pending/600152456

You will need to cancel your payment and resend to the correct address.  Paypal cannot send your payment to the seller as that Paypal address as it does not exist.  A typo can cause us all sorts of problems and this is one.

Ask seller to send another invoice with the correct paypal address so you can pay.

Hope that helps

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply