I got scammed by a smart seller but ebay can do nothing to them, very disappointed!!

It is a new scam way that I can't believe eBay protects the scammer so well instead of the customer. Because the technical problem of eBay gives these scammers a chance to scam people.

The story is this. Few months ago there is a seller sent me a faulty item then I agreed that they resend me a new one. First, I waited for nothing after a month so I asked them offer me the tracking number, but they said they don't have it. They just kept being nice to ask me to wait for the parcel. I was so stupid to trust them so I just kept waiting. After 3 months I still got nothing so they said they will resend me a new parcel again. But after waiting for 5 months I still got thing then the seller just completely ignored me and I can do nothing to them. 

How smart the sammer is. Because after 5 months I even couldn't report them by the eBay automatically problem solving system. Apparently they know how it works so what they need to do is just keep telling the buyer to wait for the parcel. After I realize that I got scammed, there is even no option for me to report the seller at all.

I am very disappointed at eBay. Your system is designed to protect this kind of scammer. I even couldn't report this seller by the automactically problem solving system that is why I am here, and hoping someone can see my feedback to save other buyers from getting scammed by this kind of scammer in the future. 

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I got scammed by a smart seller but ebay can do nothing to them, very disappointed!!

It is a new scam way that I can't believe eBay protects the scammer so well instead of the customer. Because the technical problem of eBay gives these scammers a chance to scam people.

The story is this. Few months ago there is a seller sent me a faulty item then I agreed that they resend me a new one. First, I waited for nothing after a month so I asked them offer me the tracking number, but they said they don't have it. They just kept being nice to ask me to wait for the parcel. I was so stupid to trust them so I just kept waiting. After 3 months I still got nothing so they said they will resend me a new parcel again. But after waiting for 5 months I still got thing then the seller just completely ignored me and I can do nothing to them. 

How smart the sammer is. Because after 5 months I even couldn't report them by the eBay automatically problem solving system. Apparently they know how it works so what they need to do is just keep telling the buyer to wait for the parcel. After I realize that I got scammed, there is even no option for me to report the seller at all.

I am very disappointed at eBay. Your system is designed to protect this kind of scammer. I even couldn't report this seller by the automactically problem solving system that is why I am here, and hoping someone can see my feedback to save other buyers from getting scammed by this kind of scammer in the future. 

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

I wouldn't have bought from that Chinese seller in the first place, with 98.5% feedback and heaps of negs for non-delivery.

Be wary of dealing with high-volume sellers with less than 99.5% feedback. Stalling buyers is a very common problem with Asian sellers, they know that if you allow it to happen you'll be out of time to open a dispute with eBay or Paypal and probably out of time to leave feedback.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

So you chose not to use all the tools available to buyers and blame people here (only fellow buyers and sellers) for eBay's system?

eBay is ALL about protecting the BUYER, but not when the buyer does nothing to protect themselves 

You could have opened an item not as described dispute right away when you found the item did not work

Or not let them string you along too long for an INR dispute

Or used paypal to pay where you have 6 months to open a dispute 

Or not buy from dodgey sellers in China to start with

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

"I am very disappointed at eBay"...

Because I am certainly not going to accept responsibilty for not looking at the seller's feedback & then failing to use your excellent Moneyback Guarantee which is designed to help even the most irresponsible of buyers.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

If you bought a product from Bunnings that turned out to be faulty, would you wait 3-5 months for them to supply a replacement or ask for your money back ?

One born every minute...
Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

To be blunt....you are letting yourself be scammed.

You say the seller knows the system and knows how to scam you.

After 7 years on ebay maybe you should learn how ebay works and how to avoid being taken to the cleaners.

You are as capable of knowing the system as your seller is...so don't wait for him to take advantage.  Never let it go past 60 days as that is the limit for leaving feedback.

If you paid with paypal and it is less than 6 months since  payment go to the paypal resolution centre and open a dispute there.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Everyone can get caught once.

It's easy to get involved in messages to a seller and they sound lovely so you trust them only to be let down. Has happened to me too.

But it should only happen once. Now you know. It is not a new scam, by the way. Asking people to wait and wait till the time they can make a claim has passed is not all that rare, I have read of that happening several times on here.

What you have to do now is tell yourself that buying on ebay is a business transaction and if you don't get your goods within a reasonable time (eg a week or so within due delivery date) that regardless of how lovely any seller seems, you need to open an item not received claim. And don't shut it on any seller's word. This is a business transaction so you claim money back if the item does not arrive.

It is the seller's business to get it to you. Ebay isn't protecting the scammer, you need to act within ebay guidelines.

I understand what you are saying, that you would like to be able to report the seller and get an ebay rep to read through all your messages etc and they would see you were scammed. But that is labour intensive and not going to happen because there are already procedures in place. There is ebay you can claim on for a month and after that, paypal for 180 days. 180 days is a lot. If you let some purchase drag on past 180 days, you're not doing a lot to help yourself.

Don't let a seller scam you again. It doesn't have to happen.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Unfortunately there are some quite heartless people on this forum. You obviously did not set out to be scammed and rather attempted to be a kind and understanding person for which you deserve credit. Trust you will have the money refunded eventually.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Not heartless....just realistic about how ebay works.

We could dispense platitudes and sympathise till the cows come home but that would not prevent it happening again.

Straight talking without sugar coating seems to get the attention of the person needing help...hopefully they will not be scammed again.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply