I just received an email from PayPal. Is it legal?

xb50gs
Community Member
I was told that I have a high number of charge backs and they would review my ability to do such, and in the future may not allow me to open a new case, or remove my buyer protection.

Is that within their terms of use? What do they consider high? I buy from China a lot, also from second hand mobile phones.

Why is it the buyer is penalised rather than the seller? The didn't refund me my money for the item the seller used false tracking info on, are all my claims going to be declined now?

I'll be closing my account if that is the case. I can ill afford for someone to decide I don't get refunded because I've had too many refunds, like eBay removed all the negatives I left with no warning or explanation.

Going Ford is the Going Thing.
Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: I just received an email from PayPal. Is it legal?

Obviously to be on the safe side don't click on any links in the email or reply to it etc. 

But yes I think PayPal do on occasions send out these emails if they feel an account might have exsessive claims . From what I've read in the past it's just a notice and won't stop your account or ability to make a claim if need be but it is in their terms and they can close accounts that they deem risky.

But perhaps you need to consider if buying from sellers that are unreliable is a good idea in the long run .

If ebay removed the neg ( comments , as the dots stay) then you must have breached the feedback requirements . 

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

I buy from china a bit too but I have never had to do a chargeback. I would suggest you start vetting the sellers a little bit better rather than rely on paypal or your bank for refunds. Yes paypal will close your account if you continue to have a lot of claims.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

IME every thing I have bought from China arrived within 3 weeks.

Sometimes it can be the items you are purchasing, some items are known to be profitable for scammers.

I've lost money twice on sites other than E-Bay, once for a set of videos that could be found nowhere else.

(They also tried to scam my C/C.)

And another time for an adult product my bf wanted, not so unexpected.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Hi Beagles, haven't seen you around for a while. Yes Paypal can do this, I have only heard of it happening a coupe of times before and it was obviously a buyer who was trying to scam sellers. I don't think their problem is with claims as such but with chargebacks initiated through the bank which isn't usualy needed and costs Paypal money especially if the seller has protection.

Don't know what to suggest other than phoning ebay and asking them why and what you can do, as for buying and selling you woould have to open and use a Paymate account if you cannot or will not use Paypal.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Hi PJ, yes, I haven't been on the boards in some time as there seemed to be a few gangs maliciously reporting everything I did, so I just left. If my advice isn't appreciated I can do other things with my time.

I am concerned as I said previously, eBay removed all the negative feedback I had left as they deemed it excessive, I've been a member since 08 and had left around 30 negatives in that period, but again it was reported by someone on the forum after I came looking for advice on an item I bought.

I have had this PayPal account since 2004 and I've had under 50 claims. I don't know the exact number. They're almost exclusively Chinese sellers, but I feel that is the most likely to be targeted by AP for theft as they are t traced and have the name of the item on it. Eg I have ordered sunglasses from 4 different sellers and haven't received any of them, I haven't done a claim as it's only a few dollars and not worth the hassle, where as I have sent over 100 parcels this year with fastway and lost zero, and received probably 20 with work and again, zero lost.

My eBay buying is slowing right down. I don't trust sellers as much as I did after a lot of problems, I don't have spare money, let alone money to lose. and I'm finding better bargains in b&m shops rather than here,especially with ap inflating their prices ever few months,

Anyway, it's certainly gong to limit my buying further.

Cheers. Hope you're well.
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

How are the two precious pink beagles? They must be growing up quickly?

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

I've been a member since 09 and I have yet to leave a negative. And no claims.

To me, 50 claims in 10 years would be excessive. And if I got to that point with Chinese sellers then I would have to conclude the issue was with me.

JMO

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Maybe it's the area I buy from? Mobile phone accessories, mobile phones, etc. 5 claims is year are excessive? I don't know to say. For a period of that time I was using PayPal with a business and bought something like 100 items a week to repair and resell mobiles. 20 transactions in probably 20,000 is excessive? Really?

If you deem that excessive, I think it's ridiculous, I put over $10,000 through PayPal in 6 months when I was in business. A few dodgy sellers here and there will crop up when you're buying in bulk quantities.
Message 10 of 16
Latest reply