I "bought" an item?

I entered my Ebay account for the first time for a couple of days to discover that I'd "purchased" a $100 itunes gift card from the US. There is no way I would have done this, as I have no desire for this item and have never EVER searched for it? I don't understand how this item can just turn up in my "purchased" items? Help anyone?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: I "bought" an item?

Happened to me big time 18 months ago. Only it was for a $2000 laptop from US going to Indonesia. My PayPal had been hacked. Money taken immediately out of my linked bank account. It took nearly two months to get the money back too

It was a very stressful time

all buyers take note . . . . avoid the stress . . . . . have a bank account that is for eBay/PayPal activity only.  NAB* have a basic savings account that has debit card access and no monthly fee.  Top up the balance when you know you are going to buy something or the day after you buy something.  Keep the balance low and you will absoluetly limit your losses in the event of PayPal being hacked. I can't possibly lose $2000 if my PayPal gets hacked because there just isn't $2000 in my account.  I leave the balance around $100 to $150, that way I know exactly what my loss exposure is.

*I do not work for or get any financial benefit from NAB for any reason whatsoever.  It is just the bank I use.

I didn't have $2000 in my account leader. It put me in debit....so stressful. At the time I only had $2 in my account

PP & the bank knew within half an hour of the hacking but they let it go through just the same

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

If my bank allows PayPal to overdraw my account then that is their loss in my view.  My account is a debit account, and therefore PayPal should only be able to access positve balances.  If my bank expected me to cover their losses for overdrawn funds then I would change banks.

Yes, I did. But be warned, it did happen. I notified all concerned on Sunday night before any transactions went through & lo & behold on Monday night......there it was...an overdrawn account

Not happy X-(

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

Therefore PayPal should only be able to access positve balances.

It depends on the bank, some will let the money go through some won't. Mine does.. I do it all the time when I don't have money to buy things and I just put the money in when I have it.. I do get charged a $10 dishonor fee if the money is a large sum.. 

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

St George Bank will bar overdrawn transactions on your debit card if you request that they don't allow it.

With St George it all depends on your banking history and if you have regular funds coming into the account before the "credit" transaction is processed by the bank if they will let you be overdrawn.

I was horrified when I found out about this and immediately asked that it not happen with my account and I only found out by accident after I had several unauthorised transactions, one each day for about $15.00. They did stop the automatic payments as soon as I informed them they were unauthorised.

To be honest I have no idea why I was automatically approved for the overdrawn transactions, I don't have the funds to cover any large purchases. I just don't fit the criteria for allowing such free and easy banking. I am sure it was some sort of error.

They do have a direct saver account which has to be operated on the internet and I have to do all the transactions myself and you can keep any money in it until you need money and then just transfer it instantly.

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

St George is a lovely bank. I found out too late a teller had opened the wrong account for me and I was charged a fee for over $30.00 which was partially refunded. I am always unhappy when I'm charged a fee because I'm a pensioner so I jumped ship and I've been with the NAB for a while now. I receive hardly any interest but I pay no fees.

TCT
Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

Yes..the Single bed thread seems exactly the same. Some new kind of weird scam or what???

And the bank fees...ugh...awful isn't it?? Me too...I keep being stung my my credit union account now and again...not ready to close it yet though till march. Meanwhile, I highly recommend ING which is entirely online. And one of the few banks who do NOT charge you a dishonour fee for overdrawing your account nor bounced cheques...I love ing...its very cool...jilly

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

Unless you specifically instruct most banks not to honour payments that will overdraw the account then if it is a Visa or Mastercard debit card it will be treated just like a credit card and they will honour the payment request.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

I don't often use my debit card for purchasing, but when I do I have to have money in my account or it will get rejected; I can't even add a new card to PayPal unless there is money in the account..

When I am making payments via my bank account they'll let anyone take the money even if I don't have any in there, it happened with my internet a few times and I sometimes do it if I intend on putting the money in the next day or two

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 20 of 20
Latest reply