I thought that ebay does not condone fake items described as original ,any answers anybody.

fake items on ebay describing as real????????????? whats going on ebay,

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

I thought that ebay does not condone fake items described as original ,any answers anybody.

I am sure that if eBay knows about them and their lack of authenticity can be proven, that eBay will remove the allegedly fraudulent listings.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If you know for sure that they are fake you can report the item to ebay.  They do not condone the listing of fakes but do not read every listing that is put on the site....they can and do remove listings if they are reported by members or the rights holders.

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

I have reported the same item three times, a fake bass guitar.  No ifs or buts about it, the bass is a fake, and very easy to spot as I own a genuine item.  They have completely ignored the report for two days now, no response, item is up.  Repeating the report results in utter silence.  If you are counting on Ebay to ensure the integrity of items for sale here, I would advise you not to.  They don't seem to give a **bleep**.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

you need to supply them with proof - they can't just take your word for it.

I doubt that eBay are professional authenticators of things and as such they have to contact the seller and give the seller the opportunity to prove the authenticity, and they have to give them time to do that.

for all they know you are a competitor trying to sabotage somebody's business.

No one can accuse anyone of anything without proof, or it could lead to defamation.

It doesn't mater what anyone knows or believes, it only matters what you can prove.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

I buy books. I am fairly sure the books I buy are real books. The ones I have received definitely fit the generic definition. Covers, pages, writing on pages...

Why do you feel your word would carry any weight. Are you a manufacturer/licenced retailer of the items? If not, what is your level of expertise in deeming an item, sight unseen, as a fake?

I'm sure you think you are right, but how do you propose to prove it?

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

I have offered to supply them with proof.  You only have about two lines to say anything in the complaint.  Nothing in two days.

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

I know it is a fake, because I own a genuine version of the same bass.  The details are all wrong.  For example, the genuine decal has a "R" for registered trademark on the trademarks.  The fake doesn't.  The strings on the string tree should pass through straight, the strings on the fake don't because the string tree is the wrong size.  It's pretty easy to prove.  There is plenty more.  It's not my opinion it's a fake, these are objective facts.

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

@allroundmusician wrote:

I know it is a fake, because I own a genuine version of the same bass.  The details are all wrong.  For example, the genuine decal has a "R" for registered trademark on the trademarks.  The fake doesn't.  The strings on the string tree should pass through straight, the strings on the fake don't because the string tree is the wrong size.  It's pretty easy to prove.  There is plenty more.  It's not my opinion it's a fake, these are objective facts.

then you need to let the Copyright holder of the brand know about it.  eBay will only remove trademark violations if the actual trademark holder requests it.  the majority of large trademark holders are members of ebays VERO program, and do activly search ebay for voilations of their TM,  eBay rarely act on the say so of another party.  get on to the registered owner of the TM and tell them about it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

But do you have the pieces of paper that prove you are qualified to state the 'objective' facts. Sorry, but eBay generally don't take members' words for item authenticity.

Your best bet is to alert the manufacturer of the true item, and let them fight with eBay.

As said, you are not a registered owner of the IP, so eBay CANNOT take your word for an item's authenticity. You could be a competitor trying to reduce the competition. How would eBay know?

Snap, Lyndel.

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply