INCORRECT PHOTOS IN LISTINGS - WOULDNT IT BE NICE ...?

hi ,

I dont think i am alone in saying we all consider our time precious. personally i blame the "jetsons" for giving me false hopes of a future with foldable cars & 3 day working weeks !!   😉

having said that i am so annoyed with sellers wasting my time (& yes i have reported them to no avail) by using photos that are not true to what is being sold. either a single item is for sale & the photo shows a group so its not only hard to know what 1 looks like , descriptions being difficult to understand usually, but i think its misleading eg silk flowers; the photo shows an item that doesnt match the price which is usually higher eg sunglasses where the low cost is for a cloth: similarly the photo shows a quilt cover & the price is for a pillow slip: jewllery stands showing the largest size avail & again the cost is for an obscure little one;these kind are very common & include drop down menus of various items not all the same; picture prints showing the largest size available where the listing is for a smaller size & there is a link for the larger or its again in the drop down menu.

the only way i see to solve this is by making multiple listings for only items of all the same price..

wouldnt it be nice to look through ebay listings & see only what is actually being sold in the photos ? ..

'a picture says a thousand words'..  back to the 'jetsons' & a dream life..

thanks

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: INCORRECT PHOTOS IN LISTINGS - WOULDNT IT BE NICE ...?

The worst is when they show 2 items in the photo, then send you one. When you complain they point to the tiny writing at the bottom of the listing that says:

* This listing is for one [fill in the item name] only

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

@blue*nile wrote:

the only way i see to solve this is by making multiple listings for only items of all the same price..

wouldnt it be nice to look through ebay listings & see only what is actually being sold in the photos ? ..

thanks

According to the current policy, only variations of the same item can be included in this type of listing - that would make varying sizes of a jewellery stand a legitimate use of the format, but a cleaning cloth and sunglasses an illegitimate use.

Sorry to say, as a seller I both love and need the variation format with the ability to have differing prices - I don't break the rules, of course, but if I had to separate all of my identical items into separate listings because they had sizing and price variations, my number of listings would nearly double and I don't have anywhere near as many as other sellers do, then the complaint would be for how many primarily identical listings are flooding the site with minor variations, causing people to have to scroll through endless numbers of listings just to see more than a couple of products (this can still happen in some categories, granted, as eBay aren't all great at policing their duplicate listing policy, either).

In other words, the format has solved some problems, but alas has introduced others (I do agree that those who abuse the format should be reprimanded, of course, but that requires eBay to both pay attention and care 😞 ). 

There are some little tricks you can use when searching to help filter out the items or listings you don't want to see. For example, if the price of the item you're looking for is generally above $5 even at its lowest, change the settings to only show listings with prices starting from $5. You can also use search terms to exclude common items included (a classic one is a pair of gloves or stockings for $1 so an ad for an evening gown shows up for that price, so if you type in search terms like "evening gown", then use the minus symbol and type -gloves -stockings, those item prices will be excluded from the results - the listings themselves will be there, because the title etc is still for an evening gown, but the price displayed in search results will be for the dress (assuming there's no other cheap accessories in the variations). 

Sub-category refinements can work, too, especially when looking for linen or other items with pre-defined sizes - down the left-hand menu, make sure to tick the box that relates to the item you're looking for to narrow down relevant results and prices. 

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@blue*nile wrote:

thanks

According to the current policy, only variations of the same item can be included in this type of listing - that would make varying sizes of a jewellery stand a legitimate use of the format, but a cleaning cloth and sunglasses an illegitimate use.

Sorry to say, as a seller I both love and need the variation format with the ability to have differing prices - I don't break the rules, of course, but if I had to separate all of my identical items into separate listings because they had sizing and price variations, my number of listings would nearly double and I don't have anywhere near as many as other sellers do, then the complaint would be for how many primarily identical listings are flooding the site with minor variations, causing people to have to scroll through endless numbers of listings just to see more than a couple of products (this can still happen in some categories, granted, as eBay aren't all great at policing their duplicate listing policy, either).

In other words, the format has solved some problems, but alas has introduced others (I do agree that those who abuse the format should be reprimanded, of course, but that requires eBay to both pay attention and care 😞 ). 

There are some little tricks you can use when searching to help filter out the items or listings you don't want to see. For example, if the price of the item you're looking for is generally above $5 even at its lowest, change the settings to only show listings with prices starting from $5. You can also use search terms to exclude common items included (a classic one is a pair of gloves or stockings for $1 so an ad for an evening gown shows up for that price, so if you type in search terms like "evening gown", then use the minus symbol and type -gloves -stockings, those item prices will be excluded from the results - the listings themselves will be there, because the title etc is still for an evening gown, but the price displayed in search results will be for the dress (assuming there's no other cheap accessories in the variations). 

Sub-category refinements can work, too, especially when looking for linen or other items with pre-defined sizes - down the left-hand menu, make sure to tick the box that relates to the item you're looking for to narrow down relevant results and prices. 

hi, thanks for your reasoning..apologies for the late reply..in & out of hospital 😞 ..

i do see your point & would welcome the use of the drop down menu when i wanted it too.. the issue is the photos.

showing a photo of the most expensive item with the cheapest price, is misleading. sure we all know if its too good etc etc.. but this is ebay & we all hope for a bargain.

my only concern is for the new rules supposedly to cover these things & they dont. possibly as with the case of the jewelery stands type of listing the simple option of adding 'from' before the price would help. i dont know hw to solve it i just know its annoying every time in looking for something . theres enough listings to trek through already without the false ones :(.

thanks again 🙂

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@blue*nile wrote:

thanks

thanks for your reply.. in & ut of hospital , sorry for the late response..

i do use the sub menus when searching for furniture & exact items i want buuuut being a woman .. we browse & gather !

i figure there are sellers who do the wrong thing then again thats where the very thing im looking for might be  8}

its the photos i have issue with mostly . it doesnt seem all the hard to me to show what you are selling & ONLY what you are selling , NOT  the clothing item you are selling a copy of, being worn by an actress.. THE copy : .. NOT a bunch of fake flowers when you are ONLY selling 1 stem .. just the STEM.. not a QUILT COVER when the price is for a PILLOW SLIP .. show the photo of the QUILT COVER BUT then the PRICE must be for that item..

simple ? or too simple.. 🙂

thanks

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

EXACTLY ! .. thanks mark    🙂

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Why do photos show a item  (motor, phone, music instrument etc. ) with a price tag and after further investigation its only a small part ( screw, cover, etc ) which is available for the shown price. This practice should not be acceptable its totally confusing ,specially  when you trying to compare the same items.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Why do you drag up an EIGHT year old thread to add nothing relevant?

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Ashes to ashes

dust to dust.

Before thou posteth

and be nonplussed,

Behold the date

that is clear on the thread.

Hath it been far too long?

Should the thread be left dead?

If long it hath lain

undisturbed in its grave,

dare not to revive it;

That’s no way to behave.