If I am out bid on an item and the higher bidder retracts his bid am I obliged to buy it ?

I bid on an item and was out bid . I have now noticed that thsi item may be counterfiet and am concerned that the higher bidder will retract his bid and I may be stuck with buying it.  Is that the case ?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If I am out bid on an item and the higher bidder retracts his bid am I obliged to buy it ?

There is an obligation under eBay rules however no one can force you to pay.

I have occasionally experienced it and explained to the seller that I purchased elsewhere so to kindly cancel.

Perhaps report the listing as counterfeit.

image host

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

There is an obligation under eBay rules however no one can force you to pay.

I have occasionally experienced it and explained to the seller that I purchased elsewhere so to kindly cancel.

Perhaps report the listing as counterfeit.

image host
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Thank you for the reply. I was concerned that may be the case. I am not positive that the item is counterfiet , only suspicious . It is a Citizen watch that has , what appears to be a mis- spelling of he word Citizen as CITRZEN and S. SLEEL  (S.Steel ) on the reverse.

I would not accuse someone without being sure and appreciate you taking the time to help and will take you advise if the higher bidder retracts. 

Cheers.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

If the auction still has a bit to go, you could always retract the bid yourself. Then you won't have to worry about it.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Good thinking tippy, to be sure as padi would say. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

It certainly sounds suspect given what the OP said about the spelling on the watch. I would hazzard a guess and say Asian seller.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply