If we purchased an item and paid via PayPal...Can the seller then cancel purchase?

renamagui
Community Member
Hi bought a ps4 bundle from the Gold Coast and seller agreed on a price and the a couple of days later ( today) we paid via PayPal $550! ( thinking we got the children's Christmas pressy wrapped up!) & then came home this arvo to a message that said Brock was cancelling purchase and refunding the money...nice! ( not)
Does it go back in account straight away? - because it's still not there!
And is this kind of Rort being allowed to happen?
Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

If we purchased an item and paid via PayPal...Can the seller then cancel purchase?

What was the reason ( if any )  the seller cancelled the order ?

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

He reckons because PayPal would not clear the funds for 21 days..( yeh sure!) .so he was gonna sell it to a friend instead! & cancel payment through PayPal ( apparently this has happened?? But hasn't gone back to our account as yet??) but then, he didn't cancel the purchase through eBay? Very strange! Sounds like a Rort?
Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

??? Does he realise he will cop a defect for cancelling the transaction ? I would contact ebay if I were you, just to let them know. It is his choice though. Not good form, but it's legit.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

But why is he able to lye about not receiving the funds cleared and the say he's been able to then refund us & we have to then wait to see if he has? Highway robbery!
Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

New sellers and established sellers with new accounts and also sellers who only sell sporadically are having their funds held for up to 21 days. The seller is not lying about that. Check the sellers forum, it is full of threads on this issue.

The seller was possibly able to refund the money as he had enough to cover it in cleared money in his PayPal account or he could have sent it as a payment from a bank account or credit card.

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Sheepie, is it possible that the refund will not go through until the 21 days is up and this is why the OP has not seen it yet?  That will put the cat among the pigeons, won't it?

Alternatively, if the payment was funded by a debit or credit card the refund goes back to that account and takes a few days to appear.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Seller is correct that their funds will be held for 21 days but they should have known that and not listed their item if they were not prepared to wait for payment to be withdrawn.

How long it takes to get your refund depends on how you funded the payment. What is showing in Paypal next to the transaction?

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

If I sold a $500 item and then found out I was required to send the item and then wait 21 days for my money to be released

I would cancel the transaction also

One member, (I can remember), said ... yes, Paypal can do that ! they have lawyers who know, so do you think they would do that if it wasn't legal

Well that person was wrong (once again) ... read the posts on the sellers boards relating to the issue

As soon as a complaint is lodged with the Ombudsman, Paypal release the money !

Paypal are not above the law

Just another reason why the Boss got the SACK

It must be terrible being one of the "faithful" and seeing the Boss get the SACK .... LOL

It is not over until the Fat Ladies post

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

It is not over until the Fat Ladies post

Guess it is over now thenWoman LOL

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 14
Latest reply