Import Charges and Over $1000...

Hi guys!

So, this silver ring I want to buy costs $2,000 AUD.

The import charges are then an additional ~$350.

How does Australian Customs actually KNOW the price of the ring?

The ring is silver with black diamonds. How do they actually know it's worth? If the eBay seller must say what's in the package, can't he just lie and say it's silver with onyx (much cheaper than diamonds), and that it indeed costs below $1,000?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

@bradley154985 wrote:

Hi guys!

The ring is silver with black diamonds. How do they actually know it's worth? If the eBay seller must say what's in the package, can't he just lie and say it's silver with onyx (much cheaper than diamonds), and that it indeed costs below $1,000?

(chokes on coffee)

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

@bradley154985 wrote:

Hi guys!

er yeah of course he can, but he shouldn't .   It is a Criminal offence to mis quote the value of an item and very strick $ and custodial penalties apply depending onn the degree of fraud your seller is committing.

why would / should anyone do that for you?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

It would be no different to someone sending a container full of cigarettes and writing that they were crayons on the customs form. Very naughty, and very important looking people with badges and nicely ironed shirts tend to come after you with nice, shiny, silver bracelet looking things.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

I don't get it though.

I'm going to the USA in 2 weeks.

What's stopping me from getting it delivered to my hotel (thus paying no import fees, as the seller is based in USA), and simply putting it on my finger?

No customs officer harrasses you at airports asking where the ring on your finger was bought.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Some light reading for you Bradley

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Because rules are there for a reason and exist because of dishonest people.

Wouldn't it be great to have a world with no checking, no locks and no police.

But as some decide to break the rules, all the extra things we need exist and ruin it for the rest.

Nothing stopping you, but when you get older certain things happens in the mind. One of those is questioning what one has left behind and whether there is anything that should be set right. So there are no shortcuts. 

image host
Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

It should be declared on your Customs forms as having been purchased in the USA but if you want to take the chance on being caught then it is up to you.

But there is a $900 limit on General Goods being bought into Australia for your own use...you will have to produce your receipts to prove the price and if you are bringing back other goods as well you may be well over the limit.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

@bradley154985 wrote:

I don't get it though.

I'm going to the USA in 2 weeks.

What's stopping me from getting it delivered to my hotel (thus paying no import fees, as the seller is based in USA), and simply putting it on my finger?

No customs officer harrasses you at airports asking where the ring on your finger was bought.

You're actually supposed to declare everything upon your return, including jewellery, and there's a lower duty free limit on items you bring back with you ($900 as opposed to the $1000 for mail etc you order / receive while in Oz).

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4352.asp

Edit: What lyndal said. Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

If you ask the seller to make a false declaration or you try and bring the ring in yourself without declaring it was bought while out of the country you are committing a criminal offense. I am pleased you think that is acceptable just because you think the law shouldn't apply to you. Will your opinion be the same when I break into your home and steal things because I don't think laws against property theft should apply to me?

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 17
Latest reply