Import Charges and Over $1000...

Hi guys!

So, this silver ring I want to buy costs $2,000 AUD.

The import charges are then an additional ~$350.

How does Australian Customs actually KNOW the price of the ring?

The ring is silver with black diamonds. How do they actually know it's worth? If the eBay seller must say what's in the package, can't he just lie and say it's silver with onyx (much cheaper than diamonds), and that it indeed costs below $1,000?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Import Charges and Over $1000...

I can see the future.

Anyone stupid dense dumb inexperienced enough to buy a silver ring with black diamonds on ebay for $2000 will get exactly what they deserve.

Customs duty paid or not.

Man Wink

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

I don't understand your sarcasm!

It's silver with black diamonds - resold from a very famous global jewellery company.

Also fyi, the seller has more reviews and a higher positive feedback than yourself ^_^

So I think I would trust him more than you ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

No reputable jeweller would set black diamonds in silver....the metal is too soft.  True black diamonds are so rare and expensive that they deserve at the very least 18ct white gold settings if not platinum.

The number of positive feedback the seller has is immaterial....how many neutrals and negatives does he have?

What about posting the number of one of his items so we can judge for ourselves.

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

It seems the consensus is that you try to circumvent Austraian law at your peril. With the proviso you don't complain here when reality hits you in the face.

If the seller is as pure as you claim it is doubtful they would be prepared to perjure themselves and put their entire business at risk for a single sale anyway

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

If the seller of the ring is as reputable as you claim, then they would never entertain the idea of lying on a customs declaration.

If a ring worth $2000, was mailed to Australia with incorrect value stated on the customs dec, say $900, and customs decided to open it and check it. If  they thought it was worth more than $1000 they wouldn't release it until you provided the invoice for the amount you paid for it. So, then you would have to pay the full customs tax plus a fine.

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

@bradley154985 wrote:

I don't understand your sarcasm!

It's silver with black diamonds - resold from a very famous global jewellery company.

Also fyi, the seller has more reviews and a higher positive feedback than yourself ^_^

So I think I would trust him more than you ๐Ÿ™‚

Well maybe that's true.

But let me assure you, I am waaaaaay more experienced than you. And in my experience, what will happen is that the ring will arrive - customs paid or not, and then you'll take it to a jeweller and, with a straight face he will tell you that the silver is silver but the black diamonds are probably not diamonds. I have seen it happen here so many times. Why don't you go and have a look in a bricks-and-mortar jewellers at your local shopping centre. Can you buy that ring, or equivilent for around that price? Have you googled black diamonds so you are arming yourself with knowledge on what to look for and whether you're getting a good deal? Is the sellers feedback all positive or do they have negative reviews, and what about for that actual item. What do other people say?

Of course it may be true that you've found a great deal. But based on the questions we get from buyers who have been stung by jewellery scams on ebay, I'd be extremely skeptical.

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

tstore
Community Member
Like everyone said but one more point

A seller would be crazy to put a lower value on the customs form than the true value as then it means they have under insured the item. If the item gets lost, they will only be able to claim the value they put on the customs form ... For a $2K item I don't think the seller would oblige.
Message 17 of 17
Latest reply