Insufficient Postage

I received a card to say something I purchased had insufficient postage paid (an amount of just a few dollars was required).

I phoned the post office to ask about it and all they could tell me was it was posted in Oz, there was no return address and it was a small parcel / letter sized item.  I have a fair guess what the item is likely to be but not the seller as there are two who posted similar items.  So I really want to get the item but  I am housebound so I cannot go the PO and view it.  Fortunately I got the card on the day my cleaner/carer was here and she said she would collect it from the PO if I gave her the card and money (luckily a sig is not required).  So right now paying on collection is the only way I can find out who is responsible.

Is there some way I can collect the money from the seller or do I just write it off as a bad experience?  I will contact the seller once I find out who it was and ask for reimbursement but, well, if it was me who owed the money I'd pay it in a heartbeat, but not everyone thinks that way.  Fingers crossed!

If I don't get my money back but the item I purchased it fine, what level of feedback should I give?  I have never had this happen before.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Insufficient Postage

did you take a photo of the card?  Doing so would help in any communication with the seller.

If you didn’t, call the cleaner and ask them to take a pic of the card before they collect the item.

As far as feedback goes, I would wait until it all pans out before even thinking about feedback.  That way you will make a feedback decision based on all the facts surrounding the transaction.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Insufficient Postage

The package itself should have a red and yellow sticker on it stating that postage was underpaid, and the amount owing written on it (similar to the one shown in this old eBay thread: https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Australia-Post-Insufficient-postage/td-p/1338805 )

An image of that would be the best way to identify the package as belonging to the seller who sent it, just in case they are unsure or believe they paid the correct postage.

You can open an INR claim for a package that has underpaid postage, but technically only if you can identify where the package came from, refuse delivery so that it gets returned to sender, and provide eBay with written proof from Australia Post that the postage was underpaid - in all other cases you need to be able to rely on the seller to do the right thing - the majority of sellers will, so hopefully you won't have any issues in that regard. 

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Insufficient Postage

@digital*ghost wrote:

The package itself should have a red and yellow sticker on it stating that postage was underpaid, and the amount owing written on it (similar to the one shown in this old eBay thread: https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Australia-Post-Insufficient-postage/td-p/1338805 )

An image of that would be the best way to identify the package as belonging to the seller who sent it, just in case they are unsure or believe they paid the correct postage.

You can open an INR claim for a package that has underpaid postage, but technically only if you can identify where the package came from, refuse delivery so that it gets returned to sender, and provide eBay with written proof from Australia Post that the postage was underpaid - in all other cases you need to be able to rely on the seller to do the right thing - the majority of sellers will, so hopefully you won't have any issues in that regard. 

The majority of sellers would have a return address on their packages, so it could well be a deliberate ploy on the part of the seller.

Having said that, I have had a couple of underpaid postage claims from AP. As I never underpay postage, I was able to prove that AP was full of it. But the charges were to me, not the buyer, as I always provide a return address.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Insufficient Postage

@davewil1964 wrote:

I have had a couple of underpaid postage claims from AP. As I never underpay postage, I was able to prove that AP was full of it. But the charges were to me, not the buyer, as I always provide a return address.

It depends - Aus Post are actually more likely these days to charge the recipient, regardless of there being a return address on the package, because a recipient is more likely to pay.

I've experienced both (as in, received underpaid postage letters from Aus Post, and had buyers contact me about being asked to pay it before they can receive), and a return address is on every single package I send. 

There are sellers around who deliberately underpay postage, however it does tend to be reflected in their feedback, too. 

Spoiler
Just to clarify, I have never deliberately underpaid and have refunded all costs to the buyers who contacted me with this issue
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Insufficient Postage

@digital*ghost wrote:

@davewil1964 wrote:

I have had a couple of underpaid postage claims from AP. As I never underpay postage, I was able to prove that AP was full of it. But the charges were to me, not the buyer, as I always provide a return address.

It depends - Aus Post are actually more likely these days to charge the recipient, regardless of there being a return address on the package, because a recipient is more likely to pay.

I've experienced both (as in, received underpaid postage letters from Aus Post, and had buyers contact me about being asked to pay it before they can receive), and a return address is on every single package I send. 

There are sellers around who deliberately underpay postage YES however it does tend to be reflected in their feedback, too AND NO 

Smiley LOL

Spoiler
Just to clarify, I have never deliberately underpaid and have refunded all costs to the buyers who contacted me with this issue

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Insufficient Postage

I have had the same experience of the seller putting insufficient stamps on to cover the postage,

I had to pay the extra postage to receive my goods.

Upon checking the sellers Feedback I find this is a common occurrence for this seller. 

Sadly my complaint to eBay has fallen on deaf ears and the seller continues this practise.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Insufficient Postage

Read feedback first and you would have known to avoid them

No use complaining to eBay after the fact, that information was there before you chose that seller 

About as much point as posting a comment on a thread from almost 4 years ago

Don't buy from dodgy sellers, people keep on choosing to buy, obviously the seller is not going to change their behaviour when folks choose to keep on supporting it

Have you left neg feedback for this seller ?

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Insufficient Postage

I think the users name says it all.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply