Is ebay's feedback system misleading?

m-i-c-k
Community Member

I have been discussing with ebay the point of their feed back system if they don't test it for misleading players?

On the 1st of December, I blogged about a *removed* who didn't deliver the item I ordered more then a month before which ended with myself leaving negative feedback and just wanting to move on. The seller later provided a postage tracking number to ebay and ebay removed the feedback I left because the item was marked "delivered" on their system!!!!

On checking the tracking details provided by *removed* to ebay with the shipper Australia Post, my item was delivered to an address in North Melbourne. That would be fine if I lived at the address! I live 10km north in Glenroy!

After making contact with ebay and providing proof that the tracking number was false (not my name or address), ebay still say they can't reinstate my feedback as the item was "delivered within your area"!!

Close enough is good enough???

This points out a weakness in the ebay system, that if you provide any valid tracking number, say from some other customers delivery to ebay's delivery tracking system, the item is marked as delivered.

The lack of vetting is outstanding and leads me to think how insecure ebay's system is if they didn't do the background checks for something so simple.

To date, ebay have not expressed interest in closing their weakness that leaves all users vulnerable to attack.

1. Customer leaves feedback for seller.
  2. Seller complaints to ebay about negative feedback.
  3. Seller provides a tracking number and package is marked delivered.
  4. Ebay remove feedback.
  5. Customer wants feedback reinstated and provides proof of false tracking information.
  6. Ebay refuse to reinstate feedback.

--UPDATE--

After pointing out that ebay is misleading their customers in the above ways I get almost the same reply but with an offer to reinstate my feedback again:

In closing, this clearly shows that ebay is a party to misleading myself and other ebay buyers. Their "feedback system" never allowed the truth to be communicated between members.
Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Hi mick,

on the whole, feed back opinions ARE very misleading, inaccurate, downright lies in some cases - generally not worth the paper they are written on!

No one has to substantiate their claims, impossible to prove either way - and short of swearing - anyone can write anything - and it STAYS!

Very few exceptions to that, trackable post is one of them, by the looks of it. It appears that negs can't be left to stay, are usually removed as it happened in your case.

And what do you care weather your neg stays or not - it really doesn't matter to anyone, no one reads f/backs anyway, or takes them seriously for the reasosns outlined above.

If customers paid any heed to the comments - no one with even a very few negs would even sell anything else - but that clearly is not the case! For sellers with even a heaps and heaps of negs - business as  usual.

You can even read articles in national media from time to time about what a joke (as far as proper guidance for buyers is concerned) Ebay's f/back system is.

It has gotten to be so boooooooring.....hardly anyone even bothers leaving it any more - unles it's a neg for seller - and even those are mostly unjustified.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

To cut to the chase yes the feedback system is misleading as one one side it is based on opinion ( and opinions.. we all know what they are like) and on the other side your are only allowed to say nice things.

That's basically it.

Unless there are is a very definitive pattern of negative behaviour its usless as all it really confirms is that most of the time people are honest and now and again they are not. Which is basically life in a nut shell. However it gives people a false impression of security and that's ebay all over basically.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I have no comment about the feedback, but did you check with AP as to where the item was delivered or who it was addressed to?

It could well be AP's fault, in which case you have publicly outed a member who has done the right thing, postage-wise.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I have no comment about the feedback, but did you check with AP as to where the item was delivered or who it was addressed to?

It could well be AP's fault, in which case you have publicly outed a member who has done the right thing, postage-wise.

The weight, size, name or address didn't match the tracking number given.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Get it in writing from AP.

Then advise Paypal. If they won't play take them to the FOS.

Surely the money you spent is more worthy of your efforts than getting a neg restored. I know what part I would be ropeable about.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply