Is it a scam

i_rok_ur73
Community Member
Hi I received this from a lady in looking at buying a car from and wanting to know if it is legit or a scam... the car is excellently priced.

Hello again , as I've told you in my first e-mail, I'm in the Air Force with my medical team and right now I am on a military base. We are training, getting ready for leaving the country.

Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay I chose to hire them to take care of the whole selling process as I cannot leave the military base. The delivery process will be managed by me.
I think I can have it there at your home address within 1-2 working days.You will have 5 days to test and inspect the Hilux, prior to making any purchase. During that 5 days testing period I will not be getting any money.
Only when you give the confirmation to eBay that you are satisfied by the Hilux and wanna keep it, they will release the funds to me, otherwise, they will refund you the full amount of money without any question, and you can ship the Hilux back on my expense.I need to know if you are interested so I can ask eBay to send you the details on this deal. If interested please include in your next email your contact info for eBay (full name, shipping address and phone number), so I can notify eBay that you are selected as my possible buyer and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Is it a scam

@isis-witch wrote:

funny thing is they are still using a Hilux to scam ppl currently using 2 names Nadine Kelly and Craig Hart and likely a host of other ones too ..i did scare the **bleep** out of them telling them that i knew they were scammimg but thanks for replying to me as i now have their IP  address 

I don't think they will be scared by that. 

They will, however, be grateful that you confirmed your email address or phone number through replying.

Best advice is DO NOT ENGAGE WITH THESE PEOPLE.  They are good at what they do.  They are not just after your money, they want any information you will freely give them.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

@isis-witch wrote:

lmao best ever answer i was going to tell them oh yes send the car give them a fake address then make out i paid and keep asking where my car was even maybe make some fake payment records if need be so they are searching for a payment 

DON'T! 

Best advice is DO NOT ENGAGE WITH THESE PEOPLE.  They are good at what they do.  They are not just after your money, they want any information you will freely give them.

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Oh, for goodness' sake! Please, do not treat this like a joke. Do as k1ooo recommends. You are not dealing with amateurs; the criminal rings behind this scam have been practising it for years, and are adept at extracting every possible drop of blood from your dessicated corpse, so to speak.

People in general have no idea how much information they give away. There is a reason why cold "psychic" readings are convincing; people leak information, and they don't even realise it.

DO NOT ENGAGE.

There is also a reason why "name, rank, serial number" is the only information a captured combatant / military person is instructed to give. Engage, and subtle bits of data about you spill without your even being aware of it.

DO NOT ENGAGE.

DON'T.

DON'T TRY TO BE CLEVER. DON'T TRY TO TAKE THEM ON. Unless you are a skilled and highly trained cyber security expert, you cannot stay in the shadows and poke a stick at the bear. DISENGAGE.

Confirm nothing. Deny nothing. Either reaction will give away pieces of a puzzle. Non-verbal reactions will give away pieces of the puzzle. DISENGAGE, and don't contact anyone selling any sort of vehicle for well below market value. Even the initial contact gives away information about you.

Reinforcing what's already been said - these scams are not just about the vehicle. It's not just about the money. Your vulnerabilities can be exploited and your identity can not only be stolen, but used as part of ongoing criminal activity. That means that mortgages can be taken out on your property/ies, loans can be taken out in your name, bank accounts for money laundering can be opened in your name, and on and on it goes.

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

will61747
Community Member

I have come to the right place, I was looking at a Prado, and in those exact same words was the email I received when I asked about it, "oh I'm in a medical team with the Air Force", 

ok rant over, cheers for saving me 7 grand

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

mheta65
Community Member

See my experience, is slightly different. I found a listing on facebook market place, and was told to email the owner of the car. Similar story and the moment there was something about ebay being involved. I was like ahh nah that's not right, I want to see the car and drive it first before I hand any money and I was like nahh I'm gonna research this. And here I am finding it out to be a proper scam! Disappointing but thankful 

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

COMPLETE SCAM - DO NOT GET INVOLVED.

There have been man of these over the years.  Probably the same old story  - in armed forces and being deployed overseas etc etc.

Regardless of story, It Is A Scam

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Still no idea, after more than 12 years now, across many sites and as widely reported over just as many years over just as many sites

what single part of the scam sounds remotely real in any way, shape or form?

I may as well put an ad on eBay or Facebook Market, or any other site saying I am selling unicorn spunk at $5000 a tube, but you need to wire the money to Nessy who will send Santa to deliver the spunk to a bunker on Neptune 

Just about as real as the 'car'

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

I'm in the market for unicorn spunk, are you able to help? I am wanting at least 20 tubes. It helps with my complexion. 

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply