Is it legal for a seller to have an item price lower in search results, than in listed sale?

I have noticed in recent times, an increasing number of sellers engaging in what appears to be 'bait selling', where an item is shown at a particular price in search results, but on displaying the listing details a buyer is confronted with compulsory choices involving features of the item offered, but all of which increase the actual selling price, often dramatically!

In almost every case, the item listed is simply not available at the search result price regardless of 'feature', or the initially displayed price is actually for an accessory!

As such, I believe this to be an illegal practice as it is clearly 'bait selling', attracting buyers to the listing either to confuse them regarding actual selling price, or to expose them to bundled advertising or other promotional material appearing within the listing.

Does eBay condone this practice?

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Is it legal for a seller to have an item price lower in search results, than in listed sale?

go-tazz
Community Member

@lingelun wrote:

I have noticed in recent times, an increasing number of sellers engaging in what appears to be 'bait selling', where an item is shown at a particular price in search results, but on displaying the listing details a buyer is confronted with compulsory choices involving features of the item offered, but all of which increase the actual selling price, often dramatically!

In almost every case, the item listed is simply not available at the search result price regardless of 'feature', or the initially displayed price is actually for an accessory!

As such, I believe this to be an illegal practice as it is clearly 'bait selling', attracting buyers to the listing either to confuse them regarding actual selling price, or to expose them to bundled advertising or other promotional material appearing within the listing.

Does eBay condone this practice?

They say they don't and will investigate any that abuse the multi listing policy but I've never seen a single

one of them removed after being reported.

It was started by the overseas sellers but now ihere are local sellers that also abuse it as well.

These days when I search for items I totally ignore multi listings and if I happen to click on a single item that

contains the choice format then I just click the back button.

It's the usual "shonky" sellers that abuse it and the genuine seller gets hurt,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

This is one area where eBay don't care about the buyer as it's all about getting more listings up so that

they can get more revenue.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Re: Is it legal for a seller to have an item price lower in search results, than in listed sale?

This happens a lot, agree with your comment, like when looking at Mobile Phones listed on eBay au, it is very sneaky tazz,
Message 3 of 3
Latest reply