Is it possible to have a filter for buyers to see where an item is made / manufactured?

kar1139
Community Member

In the interests of full disclosure about an item I would like to know where an item is made / manufactured.

Obviously, some items are made up of multiple parts but an overall 'Made in Australia from Australian products' etc would be a reasonable step in furthering consumer information / education and choice. 

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Is it possible to have a filter for buyers to see where an item is made / manufactured?

@kar1139 wrote:

In the interests of full disclosure about an item I would like to know where an item is made / manufactured.

Obviously, some items are made up of multiple parts but an overall 'Made in Australia from Australian products' etc would be a reasonable step in furthering consumer information / education and choice. 

When you're conducting a search, type "made in australia" into the search bar, include the quotations, and tick the box to include descriptions.

If anyone has an item specific or description that includes those words, they'll be returned in search results (theoretically). 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

As it's not an eBay requirement to list that information, it is not possible for eBay to provide such a filter, even if they knew you were asking. Which they don't.

Given manufacturing in Australia is almost nonexistent, I doubt you would get many hits. You might get some if they provided a 'assembled in Australia from Chinese components' filter, but still not many.

You would be better off finding manufacturers' websites and buying from them.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

@kar1139 wrote:

When you're conducting a search, type "made in australia" into the search bar, include the quotations, and tick the box to include descriptions.

If anyone has an item specific or description that includes those words, they'll be returned in search results (theoretically). 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Perhaps we will see a resurgence of handmade-in-Australia or manufactured in Australia products during the COVID-19 pandemic.

I am a little sceptical about that, though. I still see some sellers posting "If I buy these [widgets] from China, how long will my order take to arrive?" sort of questions, and I suspect that's a standard question representing many sellers.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

There's definitely some new enterprises springing up at the moment - I'm currently admin for a handmade / seller group on FB and I know homemade facemasks are very popular at the moment both on online platforms and other FB groups. I'm surprised I haven't seen a strong uptick of (cosmetic) hand sanitisers, as well. 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Is isn't too hard to guess where 95% of eBay products are manufactured when the average Chinese labour rate is $8.95 and in Australia the minimum hourly wage is $19.50.  A business would never survive competing against that input cost.

Please buy Australian made products, if you can find any...

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for your replies.

It would be awesome to see more people asking for, and acting upon, the "Made in Australia" requirement. 

There could be a silver lining to the economic crisis if we chose to support ourselves from this.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply