Is it possible to "report a seller" for dodgy behaviour.

anwsmh
Community Member

Recently I was the victim of seller fraud (the seller has been removed from eBay) and after I posted about the experience, I was contacted by eBay to ask about my interactions with eBay.

During the conversation, I asked what I should have done differently (to opening an "item not received case" when the seller had provided a tracking number of an item that was delivered to another address than mine) and was told "to report the seller to eBay".

As far as I can see the only way a report can be made is for "Violating eBay's policies" which included things like "doesn't intend to conclude the sale" (IIRC).

In this case I had a purchase history with a tracking number that wasn't updated (initially), another tracking number (after asking) that was invalid and then finally the tracking number (that was used to update the purchase history) showing delivered. Since that Australia Post tracking number never appeared in my "MyPost" account (showing pending deliveries to me), it was obvious that it wasn't my item.

It seemed to me that I'd have a hard time reporting the seller with only this (which should have been rock solid evidence of seller malfeaseance), but in case it happens again I'd like to know what to do.

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

In case it happens again I'd like to know what to do.

Open a case within the eBay time frame to get a refund and move on.

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

If an item has a tracking number but it is delivered to a different address you first have to contact AusPost (or any other courier), hoping they remember where it was delivered. Usually, based on stories here, they do remember. Then with their answer/report you open a case, proving the item was not delivered to you.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

To report a seller go to the link below and scroll down to the "report a seller" link.

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/resolving-issues-sellers/report-issue-seller?id=4022

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Often scammer sellers play tricks with tracking numbers.

If you open a case for any item that shows as delivered (even if it is not to your address), the case will close in favour of the seller as they have "proved" delivery. The way around this is to open a case for Not as Described. 

Sometimes scammers will put in fake tracking numbers and then try and delay you from opening a dispute by convincing you the item is still on its way. They get you to wait until 30 days after the ETA, but which time it is too late to open a dispute.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

The way around this is to open a case for Not as Described. 

The problem with that Jelly is that if eBay requires the item to be returned to the seller before they grant a refund, the buyer has no item to return.........and if the seller is "experienced" in scamming then they'll find a way out of refunding the buyer.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

@Padi - if the seller is scamming, they are unlikely to provide a label or postage funds anyway, which will leave them will little choice but to refund. I can't see how they would wriggle out of it.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

I can't see how they would wriggle out of it.

I can think of at least 2 ways it could be done, but obviously I'm not going to describe them on a public forum.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply