Is this a genuine email from ebay?

I received the following email 2 days after I received the order & had left feedback. The 'From' & 'Reply to' email address was ebay@reply2.ebay.com.au  The Email Subject was "Sorry, your order is taking longer than expected"

I did not click on any links in the email as I was suspicious hat it may take me to a fake website.

However it was addressed to me using my ebay username at the address at the email address I have registered with ebay.

In the content of the email it referred to me by my real name (blanked out in screenshot below).

Either it is genuine & ebay's right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing, or it is a scam trying to get me to click on something in the email. There was nothing related to this email in my ebay messages.

As I had already received the order ok, (and an 'Order Delivered' email from ebay) I deleted the email, but am interested as to whether it was a scam, & in particular how, if it were scammers, they could obtain my order number, my username, my email address & my correct christian name?

screenshot_590.jpg

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

It certainly looks legit. If the ACTUAL send address is as you have shown.

I've never heard of anything like that; are you with eBay Plus? That's the only thing I can think of that would trigger a free return offer.

As you have the item, I would just ignore the email.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I would say legit. We received a similar email a couple of weeke ago but they gave us a code for a $5 discount off our next purchase which we have since used. The funny thing was the item mentioned in the email had been delivered a week earlier but the tracking had not been updated. It was still showing as in transit and still is

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

It certainly looks legit. If the ACTUAL send address is as you have shown.

I've never heard of anything like that; are you with eBay Plus? That's the only thing I can think of that would trigger a free return offer.

As you have the item, I would just ignore the email.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Thanks, but no, no ebay plus.
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I would say legit. We received a similar email a couple of weeke ago but they gave us a code for a $5 discount off our next purchase which we have since used. The funny thing was the item mentioned in the email had been delivered a week earlier but the tracking had not been updated. It was still showing as in transit and still is

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Thank you both for your replies. I have now received an eBay message which is a duplicate of the email I received. This came a day later than the email, and is dated a day later than the delivery of the item is recorded in ‘My EBay’, so not a scam thankfully, just a glitch in eBay’s processing.
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

I received this email when I bought something from a seller who was on holidays for two weeks and I knew it would be delayed and didnt worry.

Maybe its Ebay's way of trying to keep buyers happy if it takes too long to receive and they purchase elsewhere.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply