Community Member

I have an item not received incident.

I have reported this to the seller

Tracking shows not received in transit.

Seller says have resent the item

Resent item not received either, no tracking on this one

Seller now says too late for refund

I smell a rat, I have been SCAMMED

Tried to report to EBay, their system wont allow me to report that item even though it is still in the order list.

Tried ebay help, goes around in never ending circles.

Ebay software prevents what should be a simple report.

Cant find another way to contact EBay to report this

The Scammers (A registered seller on EBay) know this and dont want to help

Ebay doesn't seem to want to help either.

Can anybody provide a simple email address to register this case with Ebay ?

Searched internet.

Cant find EBay Resolution centre link on EBay pages at all.

All details are there on the EBay order and Ebay communications

Is help available or do SCAMMERS that know how to SCAM buyers KNOW they cant be reported ??

A dissapointed honest buyer, now skeptical about EBay

Can anybody help to catch these SCAMMERS, Please ?

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Item Not Received

I've only been around for 11 years.

I have never once seen an eBay rep on the boards.

They are very active on the US & UK Boards.

I'm going to an ombudsman, the ACCC &  the highest court I can find to make sure you & others are awarded years of back pay.

Message 11 of 15
Latest reply

OP,

I have already posted the link to eBay’s Money Back Guarantee.

The MBG process is entirely bot-driven. The timeframes for opening a dispute (and escalating it) are explicitly stated. eBay are not  obliged to offer the money back guarantee but it is a pragmatic decision on their part to offer it; because they do, it heads off any legal obligation in civil proceedings if a buyer doesn’t follow the terms and conditions.

It’s actually quite a clever setup. eBay will refund in the event of a Significantly Not As Described aka Item Not As Described dispute, but they recoup that directly from the seller. In cases of INR (Item Not Received), the seller will still have to refund unless the seller sent with tracking and that tracking shows no “delivered” status; that’s when eBay must refund the buyer without recouping from the seller. It brings down the total of eBay-funded refunds to a very low amount, easily absorbed.

In other words, it’s cheap and it’s good business for eBay to offer the MBG.

It’s also good for the buyer. You as the buyer had ALL the power to be fully refunded… as long as you availed yourself of the protection available.

But you didn’t.

I’m sorry that you are out of pocket and have been waiting for so long. You have unfortunately done your dough… (It’s a strange expression - always makes me think of a gangster shooting a nicely proving bowl of dough until it’s all sticky and flat and riddled with bullets.)

I can tell you what you should have done… but that’s cold comfort.

• Open INR dispute when expected delivery date (EDD) shown in your order has passed;

• reject offer to resend - repeat that you want full refund;

• if seller doesn’t agree (in the dispute) within 3 days, you’ll see an option appear in the dispute - to escalate (“ask eBay to step in”);

• shortly thereafter, you’ll be refunded.

Never let a dispute time out; you have 21 days from the time of opening the dispute.

Never wait for more than 30 days after the EDD; you cannot open a dispute after that. It’s to the very second; give yourself a couple of days’ leeway so that you don’t forget or miscalculate.

If the expected delivery date is 60 days, you can open the dispute for INR after that 60 days and up to another 30 days from that time.

But why was the delivery time so long? Was this is a presale item?  You can post the item number here (see the original listing), if you want us to check.

The basic takeaway is not to purchase something if the EDD is ridiculously far away, to act within a few days of not receiving the item by the latest EDD, to insist on full refund rather than replacement, and to escalate if the seller is using delaying tactics etc.

Message 12 of 15
Latest reply

Hi p68885

Whether this is "fraud" or not, you were given the tools to ensure you were refunded. However, you must not have understood that process, so your (inadvertent) lack of action has meant that you are in this position today.

Back in 2022, there were about 135 MILLION eBay USERS just like you. They were looking at 1.7 BILLION ITEMS listed on eBay sites worldwide.

There are millions and millions of transactions happening on eBay every day, perhaps every hour. A certain small percentage of those orders do not arrive. Some of these are the result of items being lost in the post, some are the result of kids stealing from letterboxes, some are the result of seller forgetting to post the item, some are the result of "scammers".

Ebay (not the Seller) provides you (the Buyer) with a "Money Back Guarantee", and you can check details about that from the link on EVERY item's listing page.

You are loudly exclaiming this is a "fraud", however nobody (including you) has any way to prove that. If eBay detects multiple CLAIMS under the Money Back Guarantee, then that Seller will get restricted or even closed down, and that happens VERY quickly. However, you never even made a claim.

Nobody here, or even eBay (if you could contact them) can do anything about this. You bought this 5 months ago? Then your "Insurance Policy" expired 4 months ago.

Can you imagine the waiting time on the Ebay Help Line if every buyer of every item that hadn't arrived wanted to contact eBay to report a perceived "fraud" or "scam"?

There are a few things to learn, and those have already been explained above. I'll repeat them, even though we ALL know you don't want to hear them...

a) If you want things quickly, buy from Australia.

b) Note the Delivery Time in the listing BEFORE you buy.

c) Keep track of that delivery time by looking at My Orders in My Ebay.

d) If the item doesn't arrive... MAKE A CLAIM. No excuses, no exceptions.

e) Do NOT waste time or effort "contacting the seller". (see d above)

f) Do NOT close the Claim until it is resolved, despite what the seller might say. You are claiming on Ebay, not the seller. (see e above)

g) Keep track of the dates within the Claim. 3 days without a refund, ESCALATE IT.

h) After step c) ignore anything the seller says, and NEVER accept a "replacement item". (see e above)

For next time... It doesn't matter if the seller is good or bad, honest or scammer... in future, just follow the proper eBay processes.  Doing that will make buying from eBay a much more satisfying, and much less frustrating, experience.

You didn't know this stuff before, but how many people will need to say it before you take this advice?

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply

@a-llama wrote:

There are millions and millions of transactions happening on eBay every day, perhaps every hour. A certain small percentage of those orders do not arrive. Some of these are the result of items being lost in the post, some are the result of kids stealing from letterboxes, some are the result of seller forgetting to post the item, some are the result of "scammers".

why are you blaming kids only for stealing from the letter boxes,   in most cases where it is detected it is actually an adult,  Please dont malign our kids, just because you can.

Message 14 of 15
Latest reply

sugar… it is very thoughtful of you to protect the good name of juvenile goats with purloining practices… 🐐🥷🐐  

I kid you not.

Message 15 of 15
Latest reply