Item arrived broken(glass lamp, flue broken)Seller partially refunded but it was matching top & base

Item arrived broken. Glass oil lamp with matching base & flue/chimney but the flue arrived broken. I contacted the seller who offered a replacement clear flue but it wouldn't match so they partially refunded $25. I am happy to return the entire parcel (as received) to the seller but I expect a full refund (total costs to me was $ 73 including postage)  Postage charged was $32 but $22 was the actual costs. I guess I have 2 questions:

1- Should I expect a full refund if I return the item (inclusing costs for return) or supply photos (whatever they require).

2- What are ebay's rules (if any) regarding excessive postage costs.

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Item arrived broken(glass lamp, flue broken)Seller partially refunded but it was matching top &a

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You are unlikely to get anywhere with an excessive postage claim....you were happy with the amount when your bought the item.

Also, the actual postage paid is not the end of it....there are packaging and handling costs.  I don't consider $10 is excessive when there is a glass item to be packed.

If you open a dispute and win it then you should get a refund of the full amount that you paid including postage.  If it is an ebay dispute the seller should be instructed to pay for the return if they want the item back.  If it is a paypal dispute then you should pay the postage to return the item unless you have signed up for the paypal return postage offer.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Re: Item arrived broken(glass lamp, flue broken)Seller partially refunded but it was matching top &a

Thanks for your reply lyndal1838. I thought that about the postage but just wanted to ask. I have contacted the seller again and politely requested a full refund. I guess I have to wait & see if they will. I really hate disputes, I just want to enjoy the fun side of ebay. Anyway, fingers crossed. Thanks again.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

I've always tried to say to people, if there's a problem, always contact the seller first. If they are willing to rectify the problem, let them. However, if they ignore you or fob you off with watery excuses, go for a dispute. Thankfully, I've never had to open a dispute as a buyer, and never had one opened against me as a seller.

You've contacted your seller and told them there was a problem. They've tried to fob you off, open a dispute. If it's less than 30 days, do it through eBay. You're not talking about a $5 piece of junk. You've spent a significant amount.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Just one thing to note here targett, Australia Post expressly forbid the postage of broken glass, so you need to be aware of that side of it and explain to eBay, if you do have to open a dispute under the MBG, that you cannot post dangerous items in the mail like broken glass.

So all you can do is show evidence of the breakage with photos.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I was not aware of that padi*0409, thanks for the heads up. I will make sure I have photos incase they are needed.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Thanks tippy*toes* , I have contacted them again with a polite request, hopefully they will respond with the same. If not, I guess I have to go down the dispute path.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

That's a very good point Padi and not one I'd thought of. I guess I didn't think of it due to the amount of smashed items I've received in the post (like tea cups in a satchel with nothing else. No bubble wrap, no newspaper, just bare cups in a satchel). I was actually surprised they delivered it, especially as I could tell they were smashed as the delivery driver handed it to me.

Also had collector plates sent the same way (different sellers). No idea what some people think when they do that. Do they really think nothing is going to happen to them?

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Maybe I need a tinfoil hat but I always wonder if the item was already broken before the seller even sends it....they just use inadequate packing so it will definitely be broken and the buyer will blame AP.

My contractor has left me a message on the wrapping paper several times to let me know that the parcel was rattling when he picked it up at the delivery centre.  At least it is a warning to open it with care.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Some of them were smashed so badly it looked like they'd been run over by a car. Completely pulverised. Not even suiable for mosaic! I think they were just numpty sellers. They all refunded me in full when I contacted them. The one I was most upset about was from the next town (40 mins away). I could have gone and picked it up and had it in my possession now.......intact!

My concern was the injuries that the postal workers could have got. It was very dangerous for them. If I buy anything like that now, I always send the seller a message asking how it will be packaged and explain why, so they don't think I'm trying to be difficult. I even offer to pay more to ensure it's packed adequately (none have ever asked for more payment and everything has been packed how I'd pack it).

Some sellers just don't think.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply