Item pricing mistake from seasoned seller

rikihemi
Community Member

I recently purchased a new digitizer for my broken phone that was marked ridiculously low ($5) and I jumped on the deal and got the green tick after finalising the transaction only to receive a message 1min later saying "there was a mistake can you (me) cancel the order" then I looked back at the same item and price had gone from $5 to $68. 

Should I leave the message on seen and pray the seller owns his mistake and sends the item or pay the difference. This seller has alot of reviews and followers

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You'll have to solve your moral question yourself.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

You'll have to solve your moral question yourself.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

If it was indeed ridiculously low, there was the option to message the seller and confirm is was indeed suppose to be that ridiculously low

Of course, if the seller does'nt 'own their mistake' you know you have the option to  open an item not received dispute 

You can't cancel anyway, only the seller can do that

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Only sellers can cancel - and they should know that.

It's possible the seller is trying to avoid fees by pricing the item low on purpose so that you might send them the "additional" funds separately ie: via Paypal.

Sounds like a high volume seller - how many negatives have they got over the course of the last few months and what are those negative comments (I'm not talking about reviews and followers - you need to look specifically at their feedback).

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

There's some stuff here that we don't know (or at least I can't see, anyway) and it might be useful to know.

For instance, the seller has asked if you can cancel the sale. That is a bit weird as only a seller can cancel.

But there is a possibiliity he wants you to say you are trying to cancel, would you cancel for him, in which case he could then claim buyer change of mind.

Or it could just mean he is new to selling and really isn't 100% sure how ebay works.

You'll be able to tell if this is a regular seller-just look at the sales history and feedback score. Is this a seller with quite a bit of feedback or is it a newbie seller? It can be a new seller even if the feedback is a score in the hundreds so make sure you look at 'feedback as seller'.

Keep in mind that no matter what you do, the seller does not have to send it. Mistakes do happen and if I am honest, if I made a mistake like that with a listing and someone bought before I could change it, I would cancel the sale and take the consequences.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply