Item purchased is now faulty. Seller has agreed to a full refund but keeps stalling on processing

albit51
Community Member

The item I purchased in June 2021 is now faulty.

The seller has agreed to a full refund but keeps stalling on processing the refund.

eBay say because the seller is only an eBay platform user they cant force the seller to do anything.

How do I go about pursuing the seller to put the refund through ?

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Item purchased is now faulty. Seller has agreed to a full refund but keeps stalling on processing

Far too late to do anything, unfortunately. 

Seller is not obligated to do anything once the 30 day window after receipt has passed and Ebay cannot force them to either.

Warranties are not worth anything on Ebay either unless sold by an authorised distributor.

If you were within 180 day of purchase, you could have opened a dispute in Paypal, but that window is also closed.

It is always better to purchase direct from an Australian store as you will get a warranty. What was the item and what has gone wrong?

Also, if the item was sent from China, there's a very good chance it is a cheap knockoff anyway.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Hi there

Thanks for responding to my quandry.

It was a 12v garden weed sprayer that has a faulty pressure cut off switch. It/the seller was located in Australia according to the listing.

When I contacted the seller to replace the unit, they eventually offered a full refund, but it hasn't happened yet and when I contact them to chase it up they just say they will look into it.

I cant understand why they offered a refund if they are not going to honour it...?

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

@albit51 wrote:

It was a 12v garden weed sprayer that has a faulty pressure cut off switch. It/the seller was located in Australia according to the listing.

The seller may say the item is "located" in Australia, but look at their feedback and see where they are registered. If they are registered in China then it's a common tactic by Chinese sellers to try and delay any resolution to a problem, until the dispute process times out.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

There are 2 things to consider when purchasing - the main one being where the seller is REGISTERED. You can see this on their feedback page. It will say something like "Based in xxxx, this seller has been a member since 2020", or something similar. The other thing is where the seller claims the item is located. Many Chinese sellers put an Australian location, but it doesn't mean the item is in Australia, it's just a method to try and build "trust". If you read the sellers feedback, many Chinese sellers have negatives for false claims of location.

You can give us the item number if you want us to take a look, but at the end of the day, my original information is the most relevant - you are out of time and there is no warranty or obligation, no matter if the seller was domestic or overseas. The seller can string you along all they like as is it too late to do anything about it, or even leave feedback.

Edit - Sorry Padi - I was typing this out while you responded.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@jellybirddesigns wrote:

Edit - Sorry Padi - I was typing this out while you responded.

No worries Jelly, the more the merrier.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply