Items not as described from China

So I've bought some items from china, and two of them (different sellers) are not as described and not even close to what was pictured. One was a skirt and supposed to be medium brown and beige, not just photo but description said brown. it arrived jet black and cream, no brown anywhere, whatsoever. The other was a dress, and the fabric is totally different to what was pictured with an entirely different cut on the skirt. I learned my lesson about cheap chinese clothing... 

I have contacted both sellers. And they want me to keep the items, offering 20% discounts. The items are unusable to me, the dress looks terrible on me, and the skirt is black, not brown, so does not suit any of the tops I bought it for. They are $12 and $20, so not really expensive items, but not $2 items either, $32 is a considerable sum of money for me right now coming up to christmas.

If they were australian I'd just lodge a paypal SNAD claim. My concern is, if I lodge a not as described claim with paypal for these chinese items, will paypal make me send them back, at my cost? I don't want to keep the items, I have no use for them, but with shipping the way it is, the cost of sending them back will be more than the items if I have to foot the shipping bill.

I am not trying to get something for nothing, I just don't want to spend more than the refund is worth trying to return two items which are not at all what I ordered. The dress could perhaps be explained as chinese fake **bleep**, but the skirt? it is not brown. in any way whatsoever.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

The sellers have offered you a partial refund, and it is probably best if you take it and re-sell the items yourself.

You can go to a paypal dispute, but as you said in your OP  paypal will require you to send the items back to the seller via a trackable means and at your own cost, this is most likely going to cost more that the items are worth in reality.

Treat it as a lesson learned, clothing on eBay is the hardest thing to buy, I ONLY ever deal with Oz based sellers whose listings have correct measurements and descriptions.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 2 of 21
Latest reply

Hello van,

now would be a perfect time to test out this new Ebay money back guarantee!

Click on it, tell them you were in touch with seller who offered only 20% refund - you are not happy with that as the items are not as described and useless to you.

See what happens - but from all accounts and testimonials from overseas - from those who had this  for a while now, Ebay will frefund you in full - and if the seller wants the items back they'll have to pay for the return postage - otherwise you get to keep them.

Message 3 of 21
Latest reply

@fixnwear wrote:

Hello van,

Click on it, tell them you were in touch with seller who offered only 20% refund - you are not happy with that as the items are not as described and useless to you.

See what happens - but from all accounts and testimonials from overseas - from those who had this  for a while now, Ebay will frefund you in full - and if the seller wants the items back they'll have to pay for the return postage - otherwise you get to keep them.

I would lodge an item not as described - for each.

The seller obviously is aware of the colour error & the 'other'.

20% big deal for items you cannot use.

You also have the feedback & defects to work with.

Message 4 of 21
Latest reply

I may be wrong here, but I don't think that has come into play as yet. I thought it was arond the 18th Nov ??

Message 5 of 21
Latest reply

I agree helen, They, the Chinese sellers know that it wont be viable to send the items back and play you like a fool.  You see this time and time again. I would just leave them the Negs they so richly deserve.  Harsh, maybe, but at least truthful.

Message 6 of 21
Latest reply

@fixnwear wrote:

Hello van,

Whilst the MBG came into effect as of November 1st, given they came from China I very much doubt they were purchased in the last 5 days, so the MBG won't apply to these items.

OP, contact the seller and tell them their offer is unsatisfactory, that you want either the items you rightfully purchased, or else a full refund. If they don't make good, I agree with Helen, lodge an INAD with Paypal. Offering you a 20% refund is a joke.

Message 7 of 21
Latest reply

@modestbods wrote:

@fixnwear wrote:

Hello van,

Whilst the MBG came into effect as of November 1st, given they came from China I very much doubt they were purchased in the last 5 days, so the MBG won't apply to these items.

OP, contact the seller and tell them their offer is unsatisfactory, that you want either the items you rightfully purchased, or else a full refund. If they don't make good, I agree with Helen, lodge an INAD with Paypal. Offering you a 20% refund is a joke.

20% is a joke, I agree, but, does the OP want to make a POINT here or save some money??

By her own admission both sales (together)  were in total worth about $32.00 - to return both at her cost to China, trackable, will cost almost what she has paid already, so I would take the partial, resell and leave the seller a well deserved NEG.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 8 of 21
Latest reply

@2106greencat wrote:

@modestbods wrote:

@fixnwear wrote:

Hello van,

20% is a joke, I agree, but, does the OP want to make a POINT here or save some money??

By her own admission both sales (together)  were in total worth about $32.00 - to return both at her cost to China, trackable, will cost almost what she has paid already, so I would take the partial, resell and leave the seller a well deserved NEG.

In my experience - that being very little from China.

They are so concerned about their little star ratings - all usually have the little script of how to 'star' them - all 5 of them - a joke as most of what they sell & send leaves some form of disappointment.

To say nothing of the feedback they go on & on about a Negative now will probably bring forth a full refund & the necessity to return the items unecessary.

The truth is they either list and send what is listed or put up with the outcome they deserve.

We try - what is their excuse.

Message 9 of 21
Latest reply

@horizon1907 wrote:

I agree helen, They, the Chinese sellers know that it wont be viable to send the items back and play you like a fool.  You see this time and time again. I would just leave them the Negs they so richly deserve.  Harsh, maybe, but at least truthful.

Harsh be blowed - they have taken over the 'market - the 'market' we used to call our own - receiving & giving much enjoyment.

Given the whole site a different feel, look, - to say nothing of a whole new uninviting experience.

They are seemingly immune from any 'slaps' free to carry on their style of business without fear but with favour.

The whiteants & silverfish of eBay.

Now that is Harsh.

Message 10 of 21
Latest reply