Laptop stopped working - tech says it was because of Aftermarket charger supplied.

Hi there.
Last September I bought a reconditioned laptop.

The listing said it had an aftermarket charger and that it worked fine.

April this year comes, and it has stopped charging all together. I took it to a local tech and they say that the problem is in the motherboard and that it most certainly is linked to the  charge that the seller supplied with it.

It is mentioned that it was supplied with an aftermarket charger (thunderbolt type) - do I have a leg to stand on when it comes to getting my money back?

Thank you

Message 1 of 15
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Laptop stopped working - tech says it was because of Aftermarket charger supplied.

This is a post about a laptop the OP purchased as reconditioned. Manufacturer warranties no longer apply. Some businesses purchase used laptops and refurbish them and sell at a profit. Maybe theres a slim chance OP's seller was one of these and your only option is to go back to them and ask for help. I know sellers who will and those that won't. All they can do is contact them as they have nothing to lose. 

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 15
Latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

7 months down the track, I don't think so.....

Message 2 of 15
Latest reply

NO!

No legs. You are way out of time for eBay and Paypal, and probably your bank.

Don't buy from dodgy sellers, which are any sellers that don't have a registered business in Australia.

Message 3 of 15
Latest reply

19759 sales, 100% positive Feedback, so, probably not a dodgy seller...

Message 4 of 15
Latest reply

Have you sent the seller a message regarding the issue.

Message 5 of 15
Latest reply

Not yet, assessing my options, that would be the first thing I do once I find what ground I am on.

Message 6 of 15
Latest reply

Registered as a business in Australia?

May not be dodgy, but you have no recourse. Yours to consider their ultimate dodginess.

Message 7 of 15
Latest reply

The only option I see is if the seller stands by their product and may offer some solution. Your chances may not be good but their are some who will help and your only option I see is let them know what happened and if they are willing to offer you any solutions.

Message 8 of 15
Latest reply

There are no warranties on Ebay, unless sold by an authorised distributor.

You have 30 days after receipt to lodge a dispute, but after that you are out of luck. Random third party sellers might have stellar reputations, but Ebay does not enforce anything or hold sellers accountable after 30 days.

Always better to buy direct from Australian stores, pay a little more, but at least get an Australian backed warranty.

Message 9 of 15
Latest reply

You do not need to be an authorised distributor to offer a warranty. There are many businesses on ebay that offer a warranty and are not authorised distributors. They will usually do this as they like repeat buyers and word of mouth.

I think you are referring to buying from an individual seller selling items from home they no longer want not having a warranty.

Message 10 of 15
Latest reply