Magic order

I recently purchased 2 bottles of Green Calcium Tablets. 
some how and I do not know how a pair of earrings from another seller appeared and was paid for in the transaction. I had never seen these earrings before, do not wear earrings and certainly do not wish to purchase. them.   Tried cancelling them  but seller said they had already been sent. Very quick off the mark.  Has anyone else had this happen?  I have been buying on EBay for 20 years and consider myself an expert   This has me completely bamboozled as to how this could happen. 

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Magic order

Item number? Wondering if it was some weird bait and switch.

In general, buyers can request to cancel within 1 hour of the order, but it is up to the seller to accept, or not.

I don't know why a seller wouldn't cancel anyway - they have nothing to gain from sending an unwanted item, including you opening a dispute.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

Magic order

The latest feedback you received is from a seller who sells vitamins and one who sells jewellery, so did both items end up in the transaction or only the earrings?

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Magic order

Do you allow anyone else to use your account?

Did you pay for the tablets from your cart?

Did it show the earrings when confirming order?

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

Magic order

I'm wondering if both things were in the cart and both got checked out.

I read about this sometimes on the Etsy forums - some buyers put things in their carts instead of on watch lists and then accidentally check out everything in the cart when they only mean to purchase one item at the time.

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Magic order

I think that is what happened I do not like the way EBay do this.  I did Google earrings 8 months ago for a gift.  Did not see any I liked.  Somehow this pair found its way into my cart. 
I must have accidentally pressed something by mistake.   Would not have thought they would still be in my cart after 8 months. I did not receive any notification from eBay saying this.  I will certainly check my cart in future and also scroll down to see what I am paying for. 
seller will not answer my messages trying to cancel order. I just get a message saying “already sent”.  I tried cancelling not long after I realised but “already sent”. Impossible to send that quickly.  They must press Sent as soon as they have your money.   Will be interesting to see if they turn off up. 

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Magic order

No one else uses my account

no I did not see the earrings. I would have had to scroll down further to see them. 
I thought I was just paying for capsules. I must admit I have been buying on EBay for 20+ years and just do it so quickly. I will be checking and scrolling down in future. I do not normally “buy it now”  I will also be checking my cart before paying. Big lesson

i do remember 8 months ago searching for earrings for a gift. I must have pressed button by mistake.  8 months is a long time for an item to sit in your cart without notification.  Tried to cancel soon after but EBay said it was marked Sent.  Seller must press sent as soon as you buy so you can’t cancel.  

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

Magic order

I did not pay for capsules from my cart. I never look in my cart as I do not put things in it. 

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

Magic order

Generally buyers cannot cancel unless they do so immediately 

No idea what the seller did or pressed, however if they generated an eBay postage label that will mark it as sent (which is how eBay set it up) so it is unfair to put it back on the seller by saying they must have pressed sent so you can't cancel/as soon as they have your money 

Plus sellers do not have to accept a cancelation in any case

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

Magic order

@aurielviolet wrote:

I think that is what happened I do not like the way EBay do this.  I did Google earrings 8 months ago for a gift.  Did not see any I liked.  Somehow this pair found its way into my cart. 
I must have accidentally pressed something by mistake.   Would not have thought they would still be in my cart after 8 months. I did not receive any notification from eBay saying this.  I will certainly check my cart in future and also scroll down to see what I am paying for. 

OP - this is 100% your responsibility. Buyers cannot cancel anyway - they can request to cancel, but it is up to the seller. Seller is NOT at all obliged to cancel the order just because you made an error and why do you think Ebay needs to send a notification? Ebay doesn't know that you've put something in your cart instead of on your watch list - Ebay cannot possibly know your intentions.

When you get the earrings, sell them on Ebay to recoup the money for your mistake.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply